Build a Fusor: Static Electric Field & Alt. Sides

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of containing ions inside a static electric field by alternating the field between different sides of the inner grid. The idea is that by doing this, the ions closest to the grid will be pushed harder, potentially containing them. It is suggested to look into using a quadrupole ion trap, which uses oscillating AC electric fields to trap ions and can possibly be reshaped to fit the geometry of the inner grid.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hello all. I'm building a Fusor at home, (or at least I am trying to...) and I had a question. I know that a static electric field cannot contain ions inside it, but I was wondering if you alternate the field between different sides of the inner grid would that make any difference? The reason i was thinking this was because the ions closest to the part of the grid that has the electric field will be pushed harder than ions that are further away. If you can switch the field quick enough would that possibly contain the ions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cosmos2001 said:
A quadrupole ion trap, or Paul Trap, uses oscillating AC electric fields to trap ions. Perhaps it could be reshaped to geometry of the inner grid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrupole_ion_trap

Thanks. I'll look into this.

Related to Build a Fusor: Static Electric Field & Alt. Sides

1. What is a Fusor?

A Fusor is a device used to create a plasma in a controlled and contained environment. It uses an electric field to accelerate ions towards a central point, where they collide and fuse together.

2. How does a Fusor create a static electric field?

A Fusor uses two metal grids, one with a positive voltage and one with a negative voltage, to create an electric field between them. This field accelerates ions towards the center of the device.

3. What materials are needed to build a Fusor?

The main components needed to build a Fusor include a vacuum chamber, two metal grids, a high voltage power supply, and a gas such as deuterium or hydrogen. Other materials such as pumps, gauges, and insulation may also be necessary.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when building a Fusor?

Building a Fusor involves working with high voltages and creating a vacuum, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper procedures for handling high voltage equipment.

5. Can a Fusor be used for practical applications?

While Fusors have been used in scientific research and experiments, they are not currently used for practical applications due to their limited efficiency and high cost. However, some researchers are exploring potential uses for Fusors in fields such as nuclear fusion and space propulsion.