Trying to calculate necessary spark energy for engine

In summary, the engine group on a school design team is looking for a spark energy calculation. They are looking for a rough estimate of what the required spark energy is, and they are not finding any information on the internet.
jga0001
Hi, I am working on a school design team where we are building a small scale formula car. I am a member of the engine group, and am tasked with CALCULATING the minimum spark energy required to start combustion in our engine. I know there is an official term for this, (required spark energy?) but I can't bring it to mind right now.

Basically does anybody know the calculations to get a ball park number for spark energy?
I know the parameters will be cylinder pressure, air temperature, fuel type, RON, Humidity, cylinder temperature, A/F ratio, plug type/temperature, and spark gap among others. Even if your equations are fairly rough estimates I would at least like to hear what you have. I can't seem to find any sort of calculation regarding this at all on the internet. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
normally it takes 25,000 volts to bridge the air gap of a the spark plug typically 0.025"
this is for compression ratios up to 13 to 1
iridium spark plugs can fire on 20,000 volts.

This might be of interest:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/public/etd-82798-232857/materials/SLAUGHTERCONTENT.PDF

An MSD ignition system can provide up to 135 millijoules of spark energy; quite a bit considering ignition can be initiated by as little as 0.2 millijoules in the right conditions.

From Wiki:
Typical ignition energies are:

* 0.017 mJ for hydrogen
* 0.2-2 mJ for hydrocarbon vapors
* 1–50 mJ for fine flammable dust
* 40–1000 mJ for coarse flammable dust

couple of tings about CD ignitions..at idle speed the CD sparks many times to completely burn the fuel air mix. at higher rpm you get a long spark, like 10 to 15 degrees of crank index
also the CD recommends .050 to .060 spark plug gap...but..they are battery hogs and we lost a race once due to battery running down vs, the old point fired ignition. I researched this one time and I think CD ignition is worth maybe 5 HP vs regular ignition on V8..due mainly to more spark length, consistant spark

This cannot be calculated. Only experimented.

Afterwards, researchers make models with 546389175 parameters which could have fit any false and meaningless measurements, and tell "I made the right model, it fits".

1. How do you calculate the necessary spark energy for an engine?

The necessary spark energy for an engine can be calculated by multiplying the voltage of the spark plug by the current and the duration of the spark. This will give you the energy in joules.

2. What factors affect the necessary spark energy for an engine?

There are several factors that can affect the necessary spark energy for an engine, including the type and condition of the spark plugs, the type of fuel being used, the compression ratio of the engine, and the air/fuel mixture ratio.

3. How can I determine the voltage of my spark plug?

The voltage of a spark plug can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's specifications or by using a voltmeter to measure the voltage while the engine is running.

4. Is there a standard value for the necessary spark energy for all engines?

No, the necessary spark energy can vary greatly depending on the size and type of engine, as well as other factors such as fuel type and engine condition. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications or a trusted source for the specific engine in question.

5. How can I ensure that I am providing enough spark energy for my engine?

The best way to ensure that you are providing enough spark energy for your engine is to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and use high-quality spark plugs. Regular maintenance, such as replacing spark plugs when necessary, can also help maintain proper spark energy levels.