1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to find displacement using velocity and acceleration

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A train traveling at a velocity of 60.0 m/s is slowed down at a uniform rate of 1.25 m/s2. How far will it travel before its velocity is 1/2 its original value?

2. Relevant equations
    v2 = vo2 + 2ad

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first need to isolate my variable, so 'd'. In which case, I believe the equation would then look like 'd=vo2 [itex]\div[/itex] v2+2a. Filling in this equation with the numbers then looks like: d=60m/s2[itex]\div[/itex]30m/s2+2(-1.25m/s2). But when I calculate it all out I'm left with d=-0.5m/s2. This does not make any sense though; it's not possible for the train to travel a negative amount of distance. And also, isn't displacement measured in units of length and not time? I can't figure out how to get rid of the seconds. Needless to say, I am very confused. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't. Try that manipulation again. If you're still stuck, post your detailed working.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted