Trying to find long run behaviour of a dynamical system

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transition matrices to calculate the probability of a person having the flu in a given year based on past records. The transition matrix used is 2x2, with the columns summing to 1. The first part of the conversation discusses how to find the probability of a person having the flu two years later given that they had the flu in the previous year. This can be calculated by multiplying the transition matrix by itself, or by using an eigenvalue expansion, and then taking the limit as the number of years approaches infinity. The second part of the conversation discusses how to find the proportion of years in which a person does not have the flu. This can be done by solving a simple 2x2
Razberryz

Homework Statement

In any given year a person may or may not get the flu. Past records show that if a person has the flu one year then (due to a build up of antibodies) there is a 85% chance that they will not get the flu in the following year. If they don't have a flu in a given year then there is a 25% chance that they will get the flu the following year.

(a) If a person has the flu one year, what is the probability that they will also have the flu 2 years later?
(b) In the long run, what proportion of years does a person not have the flu?

Homework Equations

x(t) = Ptx(0)

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{bmatrix}5/17 & -1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1^t & 0 \\ 0 & -0.1^t \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}5/17 & 0.1 \\ 1 & -0.1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1(0) \\ x_2(0) \end{bmatrix}

first matrix is the eigenvectors

second in the diagonal

third is the multiplication of the first and second

4th is the original population I guess, which I don't know

According to an example from my notes, I think I'm supposed to multiply all these 4 matrices together which I did, and I got

(\begin{bmatrix}25/289 & 1/34 \\ 5/17 & 0.1 \end{bmatrix})*(\begin{bmatrix}x_1(0) \\ x_2(0) \end{bmatrix})

I don't know where to go from here. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, the transition matrix is:

\begin{bmatrix}0.15 & 0.25 \\ 0.85 & 0.75 \end{bmatrix}

Razberryz said:
By the way, the transition matrix is:

\begin{bmatrix}0.15 & 0.25 \\ 0.85 & 0.75 \end{bmatrix}

So, are you using the convention that the columns sum to 1? If so, you should state that, since it is not the most common convention. Most treatments I have seen--in every single book on the subject that I have ever seen, and in almost all of the papers I have ever read--use the opposite convention, that the rows sum to 1.

For (a), just use matrix multiplication. If ##P## is your 2x2 transition matrix (the last matrix you wrote above) then the 2-step transition matrix is ##P^2 = P \cdot P##. For (b), just use the standard equilibrium (or limiting) equations. Using Eigenvalues and eigenvectors is a complete waste of time in this problem. They could be useful if you wanted explicit dynamic behavior ##x(n) = P^n x(0)## as a function of ##n##, but for one or two values such as ##n=2## or ##n=3## the faster way is direct matrix multiplication.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "standard equilibrium (or limiting) equations"? I haven't come across these terms.

Razberryz said:
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "standard equilibrium (or limiting) equations"? I haven't come across these terms.
Do you have a textbook or course notes? Surely they must be presented therein. If not, Google something like 'markov chain equilibrium distribution'.

Searched on google, and we haven't learned it, so I'm guessing we can solve this without equilibrium distribution.

Razberryz said:
Searched on google, and we haven't learned it, so I'm guessing we can solve this without equilibrium distribution.

Sure; you can just go ahead and evaluate ##P^n x(0)## for large ##n## using a matrix multiplication package, or using an eigenvalue expansion, then try to take the limit as ##n \to \infty##. Or, you could do it the easy way and just solve a simple 2x2 linear system of equations.

Surely your Google search must have turned up something; I saw dozens of related articles, for example,
https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~fewster/325/notes/ch9.pdf
The first 2 or 3 pages have all you need.

Ray Vickson said:
Sure; you can just go ahead and evaluate ##P^n x(0)## for large ##n## using a matrix multiplication package, or using an eigenvalue expansion, then try to take the limit as ##n \to \infty##. Or, you could do it the easy way and just solve a simple 2x2 linear system of equations.

Surely your Google search must have turned up something; I saw dozens of related articles, for example,
https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~fewster/325/notes/ch9.pdf

Yes, I looked at that exact article, but it seems way beyond what we've learned. I'm not even able to decipher it unfortunately.

As for your suggestion, well, the entire problem is that I do not know x(0). Will a 2x2 (P*P) give me the same answer as P2?

Razberryz said:
Yes, I looked at that exact article, but it seems way beyond what we've learned. I'm not even able to decipher it unfortunately.

As for your suggestion, well, the entire problem is that I do not know x(0). Will a 2x2 (P*P) give me the same answer as P2?

To do part (a) you DO know x(0). You have enough information to do part (b) without knowing the exact x(0).

BTW: I told you about the usual convention for Markov chains because maybe you did not realize there is even an issue. It is OK to use your convention within the confines of your course, but when going outside (such as to a Forum to post questions) you really do need to state your convention explicitly, because it it the opposite of what almost everybody else will be using, and they will often mis-read your posts.

Ray Vickson said:
To do part (a) you DO know x(0). You have enough information to do part (b) without knowing the exact x(0).

BTW: I told you about the usual convention for Markov chains because maybe you did not realize there is even an issue. It is OK to use your convention within the confines of your course, but when going outside (such as to a Forum to post questions) you really do need to state your convention explicitly, because it it the opposite of what almost everybody else will be using, and they will often mis-read your posts.

Sorry, I didn't know what the normal convention was. I simply posted what I was taught. Thanks, will do so in the future.

Razberryz said:
Sorry, I didn't know what the normal convention was. I simply posted what I was taught. Thanks, will do so in the future.

I guessed as much; that is why I told you about it, so you would know.

As I said, it is perfectly OK to post what you have been taught if you are more comfortable doing that: just as long as you inform your audience of your convention.

1. What is a dynamical system?

A dynamical system is a mathematical model that describes the evolution of a system over time. It is a set of equations that represents how the system's state changes in response to its initial conditions and external influences.

2. How do you determine the long run behaviour of a dynamical system?

The long run behaviour of a dynamical system is determined by analyzing its stability. This involves studying the system's equilibrium points and their stability, as well as the behavior of trajectories near these points. The stability of a dynamical system can be classified as stable, unstable, or asymptotically stable.

3. What factors affect the long run behaviour of a dynamical system?

The long run behaviour of a dynamical system is influenced by several factors, including the system's initial conditions, the parameters in the equations, and any external forces acting on the system. These factors can cause the system to exhibit different behaviors, such as oscillations, convergence to a fixed point, or chaotic behavior.

4. How is chaos related to the long run behaviour of a dynamical system?

Chaos is a type of behavior that can occur in a dynamical system. It is characterized by extreme sensitivity to initial conditions, which means that small changes in the starting conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes. Chaos can also be identified by the presence of a strange attractor, a geometric shape that the system's trajectories tend to cluster around in the long run.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying the long run behaviour of dynamical systems?

Yes, studying the long run behaviour of dynamical systems has many real-world applications. For example, it is used in weather forecasting, population dynamics, and economic modeling. Understanding the long-term behavior of these systems can help us make predictions and inform decision-making in various fields.