Trying to find the matrix of the projection w.r.t The Spectral Thrm.

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the spectral theorem for a symmetric matrix by finding an orthonormal basis of the appropriate vector space, the change of basis matrix to this basis, and the spectral decomposition. The conversation also includes a discussion on obtaining the projection matrix using eigenvectors and how to compute the matrix in the standard basis. The summary concludes with the reminder that the spectral theorem holds true in any basis.
trap101
Verify the spectral thrm for the symmetric matrix, by finding an orthonormal basis of the apporpriate vector space, the change of basis matrix to this basis and the spectral decmoposition.

Well I've found everything else. We started with the matrix A.

A = \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 3 \\ 3 & 2 \end{bmatrix}

Change of basis matrix obtained w.r.t to the eigenvalues: -1, 5:

\begin{bmatrix} -√2/2 & √2/2 \\ √2/2 & √2/2 \end{bmatrix}

the basis from the eigenvalues was:

eigenvalue (-1): ( -√2/2,√2/2) eigenvalue (5): (√2/2,√2/2)

Now I know to obtain the projection you usually use:

[itex]\sum[/itex]<x,wi> wi where x is the vector your looking to project from and w is the basis vectors.

I've been at it for an hr and I can't figure out the matrix of the projection in order to write out the decomposition of matirx A. How do I get those coefficients? Please before I jump off a cliff.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix projecting Rn onto an m dimensional subspace has "1" as an eigenvalue of multiplicity m and "0" as an eigen value of multiplicity n-m. Further, any vector in that subspace is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 and any vector orthogonal to it is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 0.

So, to find a matrix, find an orthonormal basis for the m dimensional invariant subspace, then use "Gram-Schmidt" to extend it to an orthonormal basis for all of Rn. In terms of that basis, the matrix, A, is diagonal with m "1"s on the diagonal and the rest "0". To get the matrix in the terms of the "standard basis", construct the matrix U having those orthonormal vectors you found as columns. Then [itex]UAU^{-1}[/itex] will be the matrix giving the same linear transformation but in terms of the stadard basis.

trap101 said:
Verify the spectral thrm for the symmetric matrix, by finding an orthonormal basis of the apporpriate vector space, the change of basis matrix to this basis and the spectral decmoposition.Well I've found everything else. We started with the matrix A.

A = \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 3 \\ 3 & 2 \end{bmatrix}

Change of basis matrix obtained w.r.t to the eigenvalues: -1, 5:

\begin{bmatrix} -√2/2 & √2/2 \\ √2/2 & √2/2 \end{bmatrix}

the basis from the eigenvalues was:

eigenvalue (-1): ( -√2/2,√2/2) eigenvalue (5): (√2/2,√2/2)

Now I know to obtain the projection you usually use:

[itex]\sum[/itex]<x,wi> wi where x is the vector your looking to project from and w is the basis vectors.

I've been at it for an hr and I can't figure out the matrix of the projection in order to write out the decomposition of matirx A. How do I get those coefficients? Please before I jump off a cliff.

Thanks

Just work it out. If the projection operator is (w.x)w, and the column vectors are w=(w1,w2)^T and x=(x1,x2)^T then (w.x)w=((x1w1+x2w2)w1,(x1w1+x2w2)w2)^T. Looks to me like the matrix of the projection is [[w1w1,w1w2],[w1w2,w2w2]]. If you act with that on (x1,x2)^T you get what you want, yes? In more abstract notation it's just the product ww^(T). ww^Tx=w(w^Tx)=w(w.x), right?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Just work it out. If the projection operator is (w.x)w, and the column vectors are w=(w1,w2)^T and x=(x1,x2)^T then (w.x)w=((x1w1+x2w2)w1,(x1w1+x2w2)w2)^T. Looks to me like the matrix of the projection is [[w1w1,w1w2],[w1w2,w2w2]]. If you act with that on (x1,x2)^T you get what you want, yes? In more abstract notation it's just the product ww^(T). ww^Tx=w(w^Tx)=w(w.x), right?

Yes, that is the matrix of projection according to the solution: [[w1w1,w1w2],[w1w2,w2w2]], but I still can't get it. What are you using as your x? The only vectors I have are the two eigenvectors, do I put those into the inner product because when I do I don't get that solution

trap101 said:
Yes, that is the matrix of projection according to the solution: [[w1w1,w1w2],[w1w2,w2w2]], but I still can't get it. What are you using as your x? The only vectors I have are the two eigenvectors, do I put those into the inner product because when I do I don't get that solution

I'm not sure I see the problem. You have the orthonormal eigenvectors. Compute the projection matrices for each one. Multiply them by the eigenvalues and sum them. Hence verify the spectral theorem. Seems straightforward. What are the two projection matrices? Well, let's start with the projection matrix for the eigenvector (-√2/2,√2/2). What's that? It's not hard, you have a formula for it.

Last edited:
trap101 said:

OK so I figured out the matrix, but what do the standard basis vectors e1 and 2 have to do with anything that I did? I though the basis I was using was the eigenbasis, so why did the "standard basis" come into this and allow for my matrix of projection?

trap101 said:
OK so I figured out the matrix, but what do the standard basis vectors e1 and 2 have to do with anything that I did? I though the basis I was using was the eigenbasis, so why did the "standard basis" come into this and allow for my matrix of projection?

Your original matrix is in the standard basis and your eigenvectors are in the standard basis. Just stick with that. You can change the basis if you want, it will still work, but you don't have to. The spectral theorem is true in any basis. So just give the the two projection matrices in the standard basis. Please?

Last edited:
It's not called the Spectral Decomposition, Otherwise you would have to write the matrix A as [tex] \lambda_1 P_1 + \lambda_2 P_2[/tex] where [tex]P_1 \& P_2[/tex] are two projection matrices (onto the eigenspaces) and they commute.

Last edited:

1. What is the matrix of the projection with respect to The Spectral Theorem?

The matrix of the projection with respect to The Spectral Theorem is a square matrix that represents the projection operator onto a subspace of a vector space. It is obtained by taking the inner product of the projection operator with a basis for the subspace, and arranging the resulting vectors as columns in a matrix.

2. How is the matrix of the projection calculated?

The matrix of the projection is calculated using the spectral decomposition of the projection operator. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the projection operator, which can then be used to construct the matrix representation.

3. What is the importance of the matrix of the projection in linear algebra?

The matrix of the projection is important in linear algebra because it allows for the projection operator to be represented in a concrete and computable form. This matrix representation can then be used to perform calculations and solve problems related to projections and subspaces.

4. Are there any applications of the matrix of the projection in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the matrix of the projection has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, data compression, and signal processing. It is also used in quantum mechanics to represent the projection of a quantum state onto a subspace.

5. Can the matrix of the projection be used for any type of projection?

No, the matrix of the projection can only be used for orthogonal projections onto subspaces. This means that the projection operator must satisfy certain conditions, such as being self-adjoint and idempotent, in order for the matrix representation to be valid.