Trying to look for a fortran compiler for my windows XP

In summary: Or type "gfortran","compiler" - into Google and browse the various sites.One can also look for F90 and F95 versions.
sublime
not sure where this goes, but I am trying to look for a fortran compiler for my windows XP OS that is free so i can get into doing some programming. My school may be getting into a engineering competition and i would be a frontrunner on the team and want to get a headstart. if anyone can help i would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
sublime said:
not sure where this goes, but I am trying to look for a fortran compiler for my windows XP OS that is free so i can get into doing some programming. My school may be getting into a engineering competition and i would be a frontrunner on the team and want to get a headstart. if anyone can help i would appreciate it.
Just one note that might or might not be applicable to your case but remember that it is all but guaranteed that a FORTRAN compiler will execute some code any faster than say a C program on a PC.

Have you tried a google search? There are probably dozens of freely-available Fortran compilers for Windows.

I personally would suggest installing Cygwin, which includes the GNU compiler collection, including g77, the GNU Fortran 77 compiler.

http://www.cygwin.com

- Warren

got my cygwin up and am having some trouble opening up the binaries required to get the compiler working. :( i am quite frustrated.

Open the Cygwin bash shell. Type g77 inputfile -o outputfile to compile your source code, inputfile, into an executable, outputfile.

- Warren

g95(not to be confused with gfortran, the GNU F90 compiler) is your best bet. Not the GNU compilers if you're using windows. I say this from an ease of use persepective. Works from DOS, no need to deal with cygwin (which I've always considered to be a hassle). Also its very good about sticking strictly to the standard, and its available on every platform you could ever want, a major plus if portability becomes a concern (of course, so are the GNU compilers, but I'm really less of a fan of those for fortran, in part because upgrading them can be an absolute nightmare if you don't know what you're doing).

Related to Trying to look for a fortran compiler for my windows XP

1. What is a Fortran compiler?

A Fortran compiler is a software program that translates the source code written in the Fortran programming language into machine code that can be executed by a computer.

2. Why do I need a Fortran compiler for my Windows XP?

If you want to write and run programs in the Fortran language on your Windows XP computer, you will need a Fortran compiler. Without it, your computer will not be able to understand and execute your Fortran code.

3. Where can I find a Fortran compiler for Windows XP?

You can find a Fortran compiler for Windows XP on various websites, such as the official Fortran website or through third-party vendors. You can also check with your university or research institution, as they may have access to a Fortran compiler for academic use.

4. Are there any free Fortran compilers for Windows XP?

Yes, there are a few free Fortran compilers available for Windows XP, such as GNU Fortran (GFortran) and the Intel Fortran Compiler (IFORT). However, some may have limitations or may not be suitable for certain types of projects.

5. Can I use a newer version of Fortran compiler on my Windows XP?

It depends on the specific compiler and its system requirements. Some newer versions of Fortran compilers may not be compatible with Windows XP, while others may require certain updates or patches to work properly. It is best to check the system requirements before downloading and installing a Fortran compiler on your Windows XP computer.