Trying to self study Linear Algebra

In summary, here are some alternative textbooks for learning Linear Algebra: Applied Linear Algebra and Matrix Analysis by Thomas S. Shores, Elementary Linear Algebra by Howard Anton, Linear Algebra and its Applications by Gilbert Strang, Elementary Linear Algebra Fifth Edition by Larson/ Edwards/ Falvo, and Linear Algebra by Stephen Friedberg. It is recommended to choose a textbook that aligns with your learning style and interests, rather than just sticking with one that may be too difficult or unengaging. Cost should not be a deciding factor. Some suggestions include starting with a more elementary text like Anton's and then moving on to a more theoretical one like Friedberg's, or choosing a text with a strong focus on applications like Shores'. Ultimately, it is important
physicsnoob93
I was trying to self study Linear Algebra and I had a copy of Hoffman and Kunze. I found it a bit dry. I searched for some alternatives and I like these:

1) Applied Linear Algebra and Matrix Analysis - Thomas S. Shores (Springer Undergrad math series)
http://books.google.com.sg/books?id...resnum=5&ved=0CBIQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false
2) Elementary Linear Algebra (Not the 9th edition) by Howard Anton
3) Linear Algebra and its Applications by Gilbert Strang
4) Elementary Linear Algebra Fifth Edition- Larson/ Edwards/ Falvo
5) Linear Algebra by Stephen Friedberg

What would you recommend? Should I continue with Hoffman/Kunze or should I use one of the others?

Cost is not an issue.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You should check out https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=321732". If this is your 1st course in LA then maybe the Anton is a good starting point.

That's what I have and it really is an elementary course, but that is what I needed. I plan on reading one of the other ones after.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the comment. I'll consider Anton.

Any other inputs are appreciated.

Especially if you're selfstudying, you should use the book you like most. Ik you think Hoffman/Kunze is too dry, but you do like, say, Strang, then I see no reason not to use Strang. Maybe you'll appreciate Hoffman/Kunze more if you already have seen (some of) the material in a different, more explanatory way.

Plus, I got the 8th ed of Anton for around $9 shipped (USD).

I like the one by Stephen Friedberg et al. it's linear algebra on the more theoretical side

Thanks for the replies you guys.

I think I am not really interested in learning Linear Algebra in such a way. I am more interested in it's applications.

Now, what do you recommend?

physicsnoob93 said:
Thanks for the replies you guys.

I think I am not really interested in learning Linear Algebra in such a way. I am more interested in it's applications.

Now, what do you recommend?

Not sure what you mean " in such a way" ?

Still recommend the same books. I don't see how you can go straight to 'applications' without learning what it is you are supposed to apply.

What I mean is that I would not want to learn it the way Hoffman and Kunze approaches it. The exercises include proofs, etc and only look at the pure math side of it.

Something like Shores would show the graphical meaning of it all and includes examples with applications.

I don't think I'm ready for Hoffman/Kunze yet. I couldn't do some of the exercises even in the first chapter.

I see. Well, I still suggest the Anton. I tried a book by Axler, but it was all about proofs too. I can appreciate the thought process and all, but I am not a math major, so I can appreciate a more application oriented text.

I switched to the Anton text and like it so far. It is to the point and gives plenty of examples and has answers to odd-numbered problems so I can check my work.

I am not too far into the text, but so far, I like it. I think that it will give the foundation I need if I wanted to try Axler again or Hoffman et al for a more in depth understanding.

That's my two cents.

My college course used Linear Algebra and its Applications by David Lay. I liked it a lot but some of the theories were oddly placed throughout the book and it didn't flow very well if you went from cover to cover. It was easier to learn if you jumped around a bit. I recommend it though.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations.

2. Why is it important to learn linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a way to solve complex problems and understand the relationships between different variables and systems.

3. How can I effectively self-study linear algebra?

To effectively self-study linear algebra, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and basic mathematical concepts. It is also helpful to have a textbook or online resources to guide your learning. Practice problems and seeking help from others can also aid in understanding the material.

4. What are some common challenges when self-studying linear algebra?

Some common challenges when self-studying linear algebra include understanding abstract concepts, applying the concepts to real-world problems, and keeping track of multiple equations and variables. It also requires a lot of practice and patience.

5. What are the potential career opportunities for someone who has a strong understanding of linear algebra?

A strong understanding of linear algebra can lead to many career opportunities in fields such as data science, machine learning, computer graphics, and operations research. It is also a fundamental skill for many graduate programs in mathematics, engineering, and economics.