1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to solve a boundary value problem

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    Trying to solve the following boundary value problems.

y'' + 4y = cos x; y(0) = 0, y(pi) = 0
    y'' + 4y = sin x; y(0) = 0, y(pi) = 0

The answer key says that there's no solution to the first part, but there is a solution to the 2nd part. I'm really lost and am not sure how to go about this. I'd greatly appreciate everyone's help on this!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Were you ever taught to solve 2nd order differential equations with constant coefficients?

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    For the most part. If it were y'' + 4y = 0, I'd know what to do. But for some reason, I'm at a mental block with this. Or is this something completely different from what you're asking?

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The first step is to find the complementary solution by solving y''+4y=0. What will y be equal to for this?

You then find a particular integral for the right side.

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5
    y = A cos 2x + B sin 2x.....that would be the complementary solution. How would I go about finding a particular integral? I was gonna do an integrating factor but I think that's only for first-order ODE.

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If the Right side is cosax,sinax, sinax+cosax, then your particular integral is Asinax+Bcosax.

To find A and B, you need to substitute back this into the differential equation and then compare coefficients.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?