Trying to understand an expression in Peano's Principia Arithmetices

• Thread starter Nick O
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation is about a notation that represents a set of solutions to a proposition. The notation includes symbols such as -=, Λ, and =, which have specific meanings. The speaker is trying to understand the partial solution [y∈]a and its relationship to lambda calculus. The conversation ends with the speaker providing a more intuitive way to understand the notation using the proposition ∃x∃y(a(x,y)) ↔ ∃x(∃y(a(x,y))).
Nick O
In the attached image, I am having trouble with point 66. I realize the notation is a bit archaic, so I'll explain as much as I can.

[(x,y)∈]a means "the set of solutions of the proposition a(x,y)." For example, the set of solutions to the proposition x < y.

-= means "is not equivalent to", and refers to two sets in each case here.

Λ means "the empty set".

The period is part of dot-parentheses notation. I'll tie everything together in parentheses in a little bit rather than explain it.

= means "if and only if" and links two propositions.

The next part is what bothers me.

I think [y∈]a is the set of solutions of a(x,y) in terms of x alone. But, what does this really mean? What would the resultant set be if a were the proposition x<y? What if it were x⇒y?

I suspect that this has some ties to lambda calculus, but that doesn't help me much since I have no real knowledge of it.

Now, all together, the tautology is:

([(x,y)∈]a -= Λ) = (([x∈]([y∈]a -= Λ)) -= Λ)

Can anyone help me understand the partial solution [y∈]a?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386529494162.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386529494162.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I have been flipping through the pages of the discrete math book I'll be using next semester, and found a more intuitive (and probably more modern) way to understand this whole expression. It is simply this proposition:

∃x∃y(a(x,y)) ↔ ∃x(∃y(a(x,y)))

1. What is Peano's Principia Arithmetices?

Peano's Principia Arithmetices is a book written by Italian mathematician Giuseppe Peano in 1889. It is considered a groundbreaking work in the field of mathematics, as it laid the foundation for modern axiomatic mathematics and set theory.

2. What is an expression in Peano's Principia Arithmetices?

An expression in Peano's Principia Arithmetices refers to a mathematical statement or formula that is written in the language of first-order logic and uses a set of axioms and rules of inference to prove the validity of the statement.

3. How is Peano's Principia Arithmetices used in mathematics?

Peano's Principia Arithmetices is used as a foundation for modern mathematics. Its axioms and rules of inference are used to prove the validity of mathematical statements and to build complex mathematical systems.

4. What is the importance of understanding an expression in Peano's Principia Arithmetices?

Understanding an expression in Peano's Principia Arithmetices is important because it allows us to prove the validity of mathematical statements and build upon the foundation of modern mathematics. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental concepts of logic and set theory.

5. Are there any limitations to Peano's Principia Arithmetices?

Yes, Peano's Principia Arithmetices is limited in its scope as it only deals with arithmetic and sets. It does not address other areas of mathematics such as geometry or calculus. Additionally, it does not take into account modern developments in mathematical logic and set theory.