Tsunami warning in progress

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, a 7.7 magnitude earthquake has struck south of Masset, Canada, and is likely associated with relative motion along the Queen Charlotte fault system offshore of British Columbia. This earthquake is likely not the cause of the current swarm of earthquakes in the area.
Andre
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My wife is actually in Hawaii right now on business.

They were on a bus tour when the warning was issued and she called me around 9:30 HST (2:30 AM Central where I am). The tour bus took them to high ground where they had to stay. It wasn't until about 3.5 hours later that she told me she was back at the hotel.

I had seen the news of the earthquake hours earlier, but at the time they were saying no Tsunami warning was going to be issued.

The earthquake was under an island, and not close to the fault.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000df7n#summary

USGS said:
Tectonic Summary
The October 28th, 2012 (October 27 at the location of the epicenter) M 7.7 earthquake south of Masset, Canada, occurred as a result of oblique-thrust faulting near the plate boundary between the Pacific and North America plates. At the location of this event, the Pacific plate moves approximately north-northwest with respect to the North America plate at a rate of approximately 50 mm/yr.

This earthquake is likely associated with relative motion across the Queen Charlotte fault system offshore of British Columbia, Canada. Studies of tectonics in this region suggest plate motions are taken up by strike slip faulting parallel to the plate boundary, accompanied by lesser amounts of thrust motion to accommodate the oblique nature of the plate motion vector between the two plates with respect to the orientation of the main plate boundary fault structure. . . . .

Ward said he wasn't surprised the tsunami warning was short-lived because the strike-slip movement along the fault doesn't generally trigger tsunamis.

"To trigger a tsunami you need to have a vertical movement of the sea floor, and it's that vertical movement that displaces water and triggers the tsunami," he said. "Because it's sliding across each other, you're not generally moving the water."

There was a relatively shallow 6.3 mag offshore
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000dg06#summary

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/28/bc-quake.html

There seems to be an ongoing swarm in the area.

Last edited:
Stay safe. Monitor local news and follow evacuation orders if necessary. I urge everyone in the affected areas to take this warning seriously and follow all safety protocols. Tsunamis can be extremely dangerous and unpredictable, so it is important to stay informed and prepared. I also encourage people to continue monitoring the PTWC website for updates and to follow any instructions from local authorities. Let's all work together to ensure the safety and well-being of those in the potential path of this tsunami.

1. What is a tsunami warning?

A tsunami warning is a message issued by authorities to alert people living in coastal areas that a potentially dangerous tsunami is expected to arrive.

2. How is a tsunami warning issued?

A tsunami warning is typically issued by a national or regional weather or geological agency after a significant earthquake has occurred in the ocean. The agency will use data from seismometers and buoys to determine the location and size of the earthquake, and then use computer models to estimate the potential impact of a resulting tsunami.

3. How much time do people have to evacuate after a tsunami warning is issued?

The amount of time people have to evacuate after a tsunami warning is issued varies depending on the location and size of the earthquake that triggered the warning. In some cases, people may have only a few minutes to evacuate, while in others, they may have several hours. It is important to follow evacuation instructions and leave as soon as possible.

4. Are all tsunami warnings accurate?

No, not all tsunami warnings are accurate. While scientists and agencies use the best available data and technology to issue warnings, there is always a possibility of false alarms or missed warnings. It is important to take all tsunami warnings seriously and follow evacuation instructions, regardless of the accuracy of past warnings.

5. What should I do if I receive a tsunami warning?

If you receive a tsunami warning, it is important to act quickly and follow evacuation instructions from local authorities. This may include moving to higher ground or inland, avoiding coastal areas, and staying tuned to local news and updates. It is crucial to take all tsunami warnings seriously and prioritize your safety and the safety of those around you.