Tuning Fork - Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary: The tuning fork is not a forced oscillator, so the solution isIn summary, the tuning fork is a spring with a stored energy of ½kx2. Energy is exchanged between motion and stored energy, and the solution is x = Ae^-^\gamma ^t cos(w_1 t + \theta) + \frac{Fsin(wt+ \theta _0)m}{[(w^2_0 - w^2)^2 +4\gamma^2 w^2]^1/2}.
r.a.c.
This topic has proved itself to be a hard one in, in terms of looking it up online. I'm interested in simple harmonic motion, in specific that of a tuning fork vibrating between two electromagnetic devices, a microphone ad a detector.
My main interest in it is to write a lab report about an experiment I have conducted on a tuning fork.

I understand physically the notion of resonance (a frequency such that it pushes the fork always in just the right time to amplify it vibrations) but the mathematical side is somewhat difficult. So in terms of the electromagents in relation with the turning fork, can anyone please explain it to me in a bit more mathematical sense?

Also the effect of damping by placing a magnet in between the forks. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
r.a.c. said:
I understand physically the notion of resonance (a frequency such that it pushes the fork always in just the right time to amplify it vibrations) but the mathematical side is somewhat difficult. So in terms of the electromagents in relation with the turning fork, can anyone please explain it to me in a bit more mathematical sense?
In a tuning fork, just like a simple pendulum, energy is being exchanged between motion and stored energy. In the case of the pendulum, the stored energy is gravitational: mgh. In the case of the tuning fork, it is like a spring where F = kx. The stored energy is: ½kx2, where k is the spring constant and x is displacement from equilibrium point.

Bob S

That much I know about the tuning fork. My point is the ODE of the harmonic oscillator. In fact we have the ODE
[tex] m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + b\frac{dx}{dt} + kx = F cos(wt) [/tex]

Which leads eventually (with damping to)
[tex] x = Ae^-^\gamma ^t cos(w_1 t + \theta) + \frac{Fsin(wt+ \theta _0)m}{[(w^2_0 - w^2)^2 +4\gamma^2 w^2]^1/2}[/tex]

Last edited:
I don't know why the Latex failed but anyway it is quite a complicated equation with a damping effect and the part without the damping. My question was how can you get to the ODE in the first and keep going and second how does the damping come in.

r.a.c. said:
That much I know about the tuning fork. My point is the ODE of the harmonic oscillator. In fact we have the ODE
[tex] m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + b\frac{dx}{dt} + kx = F cos(wt) [/tex]

Which leads eventually (with damping to)
[tex] x = Ae^-^\gamma ^t cos(w_1 t + \theta) + \frac{Fsin(wt+ \theta _0)m}{[(w^2_0 - w^2)^2 +4\gamma^2 w^2]^1/2}[/tex]
The tuning fork is not a forced oscillator, so the solution is

[tex] x = Ae^-^\gamma ^t cos(w_1 t + \theta) [/tex]

Bob S

What is a tuning fork?

A tuning fork is a small, two-pronged metal instrument that produces a specific musical pitch when struck against a hard surface. It is commonly used to tune musical instruments or test the accuracy of other sound-producing devices.

How does a tuning fork produce sound?

When struck, the two prongs of a tuning fork vibrate back and forth, producing compressions and rarefactions in the surrounding air. These vibrations travel through the air as sound waves, which can be heard by the human ear.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a straight line with a constant frequency and amplitude. It is often described as the oscillation of a system around an equilibrium point.

How is a tuning fork an example of simple harmonic motion?

The vibrations of a tuning fork can be described as simple harmonic motion because the prongs oscillate back and forth in a straight line with a constant frequency and amplitude. The frequency of the sound produced by a tuning fork is directly related to the frequency of its oscillations.

What are some practical applications of tuning forks?

Besides tuning musical instruments, tuning forks have many other practical applications. They are commonly used in medical settings for hearing tests and to test the sensitivity of a person's sense of touch. In the field of physics, tuning forks are used to demonstrate concepts of simple harmonic motion and sound waves.