What is the frequency of the tuning fork?

In summary: here to be the correct answer
K3nt70

Homework Statement

A tuning fork is set into vibration above a vertical open tube filled with water, as seen in the figure below.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5817/dgian1686mm6.gif

The water level is allowed to drop slowly. As it does so, the air in the tube above the water level is heard to resonate with the tuning fork when the distance from the tube opening to the water level is L1 = 0.100 m and L2 = 0.450 m. What is the frequency of the tuning fork? Assume that the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s.

Homework Equations

f1 = [tex]\frac{\upsilon}{4L}[/tex]

where v = 343 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when the distance between the tuning fork and surface of the water is 0.1m. This means it is the first harmonic. Since it it a closed tube, i use the formula for the first harmonic of a closed tube, but my frequency comes out to 858 Hz which is incorrect.

I'm sure that i have to use the second length they give to us, but I'm not sure what its for..

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Errr, I think the question is wrong or something, because the resonant lengths are supposed to be 1/4 lambda (lambda is wavelength), 3/4 lambda, 5/4 lambda, etc...

So I think either your L1 or L2 is incorrectly given. But otherwise, I think the formula you're using should be fine...I don't think you have to use L2. Maybe they put it into trick you? Haha, hope that helped a little?

well. I'm fairly sure the question is correct; when there are problems with assignment questions, they can change them asap (since its over the internet). And seeing as this assignment is somewhat old, (im reviewing for a test) they've had a lot of time to fix it ;P

K3nt70 said:

Homework Statement

A tuning fork is set into vibration above a vertical open tube filled with water, as seen in the figure below.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5817/dgian1686mm6.gif

The water level is allowed to drop slowly. As it does so, the air in the tube above the water level is heard to resonate with the tuning fork when the distance from the tube opening to the water level is L1 = 0.100 m and L2 = 0.450 m. What is the frequency of the tuning fork? Assume that the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s.

Oh, I just did this
Well, v=fLambda
Lamda=2(L2-L1)
so Lambda=.7
so now 343=fLambda
f=343*.7
f=247.1

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
oh. yeah. warmfire540's answer looks right. gee...this is a good sign... i have a physics exam on monday and i can't get these questions right!

Its actually f = v/lambda, so 343/0.7 = 490 which is correct. why did you set lambda = 2(L2-L1)? it works to get the correct final answer, but i don't know the logic behind it.

Last edited:
Because L2-L1 = 1/2 lambda because the difference between any 2 resonant lengths in a closed tube is 1/2lambda. So knowing that:

1/2lambda = L2-L1
lambda = 2(L2-L1)

ooohhhh ok. wow that's a pretty important rule - can't believe i didn't know that. Thanks for your help!

K3nt70 said:
Its actually f = v/lambda, so 343/0.7 = 490 which is correct. why did you set lambda = 2(L2-L1)? it works to get the correct final answer, but i don't know the logic behind it.

Yeah, you're right goodjob
Just didn't see that while typing it out! Hope it helped though
:tongue2:

K3nt70 said:

actually knowing [tex]\lambda[/tex]/4=L1
and 3[tex]\lambda[/tex]/4=L2
we can say (L2-L1)= 3[tex]\lambda[/tex]/4 - [tex]\lambda[/tex]/4
= 2[tex]\lambda[/tex]/4
=[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2
(L2-L1)=[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2
2(L2-L1)=[tex]\lambda[/tex] <--- shown

1. What is the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork refers to the number of vibrations or oscillations it produces per second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz), with one Hz equal to one vibration per second.

2. How is the frequency of a tuning fork determined?

The frequency of a tuning fork is determined by its physical characteristics, such as the length, mass, and shape of its prongs. The longer and thinner the prongs, the higher the frequency. It can also be affected by temperature and the material the tuning fork is made of.

3. What is the significance of the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork is significant because it determines the pitch or note produced by the fork. It is also used in various scientific experiments and measurements, such as in the study of sound waves and resonance.

4. Can the frequency of a tuning fork be changed?

The frequency of a tuning fork can be changed by altering its physical characteristics, such as length or mass. It can also be affected by external factors, such as temperature and the material it is made of. However, it is not possible to change the frequency once the tuning fork has been manufactured.

5. How is the frequency of a tuning fork used in everyday life?

The frequency of a tuning fork is used in various everyday applications, such as in musical instruments, tuning instruments, and in the calibration of other measuring devices. It is also used in medical procedures, such as hearing tests, and in the manufacturing of electronics and machinery.