Turning off the air conditioner.

• Thread starter p0nda
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Please. Your cat can't handle an 85 degree house? Who owns who here?
She can handle 85, because I do too. I don't want to leave her with it going hotter than that (of course, it didn't get that hot while she was left alone, but the weather has been very unpredictable this year...closed windows also keep it from getting too cold if we get a sudden arctic blast...not usually something I worry about in summer, but again, it's been an odd year).

Just needed to quote that one for the record. :biggrin:
:tongue:

You said heat or air - do you remember when, exactly, that happened? It is pretty unlikely that temperature would be the problem - usually, it is low humidity in the winter, and turning the heat on blasts nearby furniture with hot, dry air.
Oh, it may have been the heat, or a combination of both. His condo has a heater/air unit that's like those things hotel rooms have, and since he's only there pretty much to sleep at night, he leaves it off all day, blasts it for an hour when he gets home, then turns it off to sleep, blasts it in the morning while he's getting ready for work, then off all day again. It's some major extremes in temperature (the unit is interior enough in a high rise building that freezing water lines isn't a issue in winter). It wasn't wood cracking though, but an ugly mirrored laminate something or another on it that cracked...maybe the wood beneath it cracked too, but I think it was more the expansion and contraction with temperature changes that cracked the mirrored part (yes, this thing was as hideous as it sounds...I kept suggesting I was going to "accidentally" bump into it until it fell out the window :biggrin:).