Just for fun: treadmill air conditioner efficiency calculation

In summary, Air conditioners are very inefficient converters and would only be able to cool a small amount with the amount of power they take.
DynV
What approximate portion of generated heat from being active on the treadmill, both the person on it as well as the machines themselves would be compensated/cooled if the treadmill resistances would be disabled/removed and instead 1/2 end cylinders would be connected to an air conditioner compressor? I'd like both machines used in this playful consideration to be the best (or amongst the top) average priced widely available one (so not a bad machine nor a difficult to obtain good one).

Likes hmmm27
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the most obvious and very short answer is that air conditioners are very inefficient converters. They take a LOT of power and mechanism to cool just a small amount.

Witness the fact that there is no such thing as a "Micro Air Conditioner". The smallest AC I've ever seen is about a cubic foot in size and weighs about 40 pounds. I guess those little beer coolers are smaller and lighter, but they're really bad at cooling things down; they're better at keeping previously cool things cool.

But one wonders why no one has ever thought to attach a human-powered fan to a treadmill...

DaveC426913 said:
But one wonders why no one has ever thought to attach a human-powered fan to a treadmill...
A rowing machine that I used to use at a previous workplace's gym had a built-in fan on it for a load, pointed at the rower. :smile:

Likes russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
I think the most obvious and very short answer is that air conditioners are very inefficient converters. They take a LOT of power and mechanism to cool just a small amount.
A decent air conditioner will run an EER of between 11 and 13. Call it 12. That is 12 BTU/hour cooling per watt of input power.

Human power output can vary. Peak mechanical power output in the 300 to 400 watt neighborhood is possible. But 100 watts is more accurate for sustained output. If we hook a 100% efficient generator to the treadmill, that means that we can get 1200 BTU / hour of cooling.

How many watts of cooling is that?
Google said:
1 btu per hour =
0.29307107 watts
So from our 100 watts of input power we are getting ##1200 \times 0.29307107 = 350## watts of output cooling. That is not a "very inefficient converter".

However, the human body is not a particularly efficient machine. A ball park figure is 25%. In order to generate those 100 watts of output mechanical energy, we burn 400 watts of food energy and produce at least 300 watts of waste heat to be dumped via the 350 watts of air conditioning.

That sounds pretty darned close to break even in terms of energy.

In terms of economics, it is a non-starter. At ten cents per kwh, you are buying yourself a penny per hour. $7.20 / month if you run the thing 24/7. Then you have to worry about condensate, cleaning, maintenance, freon leakage, initial expense and the fact that the resistance is not as smooth as something like magnetic eddy currents. And you still have to plug the thing in because goodness knows the customers will want their animated LED display and fancy programs.

The exercise bike in my home cost about $350 when I bought it. Google says $500 or so today. It dumps energy with magnetic eddy currents and has a little one or two amp power supply to run the LED display and manipulate the magnets.

Last edited:
Likes cjl
jbriggs444 said:
A decent air conditioner will run an EER of between 11 and 13. Call it 12. That is 12 BTU/hour cooling per watt of input power.
I was thinking the same. FYI, that's a good average of older units and window units but today the minimum allowed by federal law for residential split systems is 13 SEER (EER averaged over a season), and new high efficiency ones can up to around 20.

• Informative
Likes cjl and jbriggs444

What is a treadmill air conditioner?

A treadmill air conditioner is a device that uses the movement of a treadmill to power a fan or compressor, which then circulates cool air into a room or space.

How does a treadmill air conditioner work?

A treadmill air conditioner works by using the kinetic energy generated from the movement of the treadmill to power a fan or compressor. This fan or compressor then circulates cool air into the room or space, providing a cooling effect.

What is the efficiency of a treadmill air conditioner?

The efficiency of a treadmill air conditioner depends on various factors such as the size and power of the treadmill, the type of fan or compressor used, and the size of the room or space being cooled. Generally, a treadmill air conditioner can be more efficient than traditional air conditioners as it uses human energy rather than electricity.

How do you calculate the efficiency of a treadmill air conditioner?

The efficiency of a treadmill air conditioner can be calculated by dividing the amount of energy produced by the treadmill (in watts) by the amount of energy used by the fan or compressor (in watts). This value can then be multiplied by 100 to get a percentage of efficiency.

Can a treadmill air conditioner be used as a primary cooling system?

While a treadmill air conditioner can provide a cooling effect, it may not be sufficient to be used as a primary cooling system for larger spaces. It is more suitable for small rooms or personal use. Additionally, the efficiency of a treadmill air conditioner may vary depending on the individual's speed and duration of use, making it less reliable as a primary cooling system.