Twice the Preceding Root Number: Proving a Conjecture

In summary, the number of imperfect roots between any two consecutive perfect roots will always be twice the preceding root number.
Tenshou
I don't know if this is the proper thing to call it, but I haven't used any mathematical terminology in a while so I think I will try :P

The number of imperfect roots between any two consecutive perfect roots will always be twice the preceding root number.

for example there is 2 imperfect roots between ## \sqrt1 and \sqrt4## and 6 in between ##\sqrt9 and \sqrt16## This pattern seems to work I have tried this up for large numbers and it seems to hold, it seems like it should very easy to prove and I am working on this proof as we speak, but I think I could use a little help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: if n^2 is a perfect square, the next perfect square is (n+1)^2. How many integers (edit: better) are between those two numbers?

Last edited:
I don't understand the question mfb? there are countably infinite number, correct?

My question is strictly for natural number D:

Well, then it would always be a odd number. unless you count the number you start on then it should be even every time?

How is 2 (as an example, the number of integers between 1 and 4) odd?
You can expand (n+1)^2 and get the number of integers between n^2 and (n+1)^2...

Sorry, I was counting like this 1...2*...3*...4*, I counted each element, like the distance >.< LOL! But you are right that is true, so it works for both squares and square roots, oh that is interesting, I should have checked that case... but now the real question is "Can I make a generalization for this for the n-th root of any "consecutive" numbers like##\sqrt[n]m## and ##\sqrt[n]k## are there n times the previous number where m and k are integers?" But I think you answered my question.

Tenshou said:
I don't know if this is the proper thing to call it, but I haven't used any mathematical terminology in a while so I think I will try :P

The number of imperfect roots between any two consecutive perfect roots will always be twice the preceding root number.

for example there is 2 imperfect roots between ## \sqrt1 and \sqrt4## and 6 in between ##\sqrt9 and \sqrt16## This pattern seems to work I have tried this up for large numbers and it seems to hold, it seems like it should very easy to prove and I am working on this proof as we speak, but I think I could use a little help...
Let ##n## be a positive integer. You are looking to see if ##2n+1 \stackrel{?}{=} (n+1)^2-n^2##.

$$2n+1 \stackrel{?}{=} (n+1)^2-n^2 \\ 2n+1 \stackrel{?}{=} ((n+1)-n)((n+1)+n) \\ 2n+1 = 2n+1$$

I don't understand your confusion.

Last edited:
Tenshou said:
but now the real question is "Can I make a generalization for this for the n-th root of any "consecutive" numbers like##\sqrt[n]m## and ##\sqrt[n]k## are there n times the previous number where m and k are integers?" But I think you answered my question.
Not n times the previous number, but you can get similar (just more complicated) formulas with the same approach as for the square root (n=2).

So, they become more complicated than just n times the previous number? I mean it works for consecutive square roots of perfect squares, and it would be a little more complicated for consecutive cubes of perfect cubes and all the way forward, This is awesome!

So, they become more complicated than just n times the previous number?
Just calculate some examples, and you'll see it.

I did, and thanks, so I guess it busted that hypothesis lol

Related to Twice the Preceding Root Number: Proving a Conjecture

1. What is a conjecture?

A conjecture is a statement or idea that is believed to be true, but has not yet been proven or disproven. It is based on evidence or patterns observed from previous data.

2. What is the "Twice the Preceding Root Number" conjecture?

The "Twice the Preceding Root Number" conjecture is the idea that if a number is multiplied by 2, and then the square root of that product is taken, the result will be equal to twice the square root of the original number. In mathematical notation, it is written as 2√x = 2√x.

3. How can this conjecture be proven?

This conjecture can be proven through mathematical induction, which involves showing that the statement is true for a specific case (usually the base case), and then proving that if it holds true for any given case, it will also hold true for the next case. If this pattern continues infinitely, the conjecture can be proven to be true.

4. Why is proving this conjecture important?

Proving this conjecture can help us better understand patterns in mathematics and potentially lead to further discoveries or applications. It also serves as a way to test and strengthen our mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this conjecture?

While this conjecture may not have direct real-world applications, the process of proving it can help develop critical thinking skills that can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, computer science, and economics.