Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twin 120v breakout from 240v receptacle

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    Hello, I live in the United States,
    I have an unused 20 amp 240v outlet that has two hot legs of 120v and a ground. Id like to make use of this outlet to create two 120 v outlets. I cannot access the main breaker of this panel, and am wondering if I were to make a plug with two female leads supplying one of these 120v legs to each, would this work? I would common the ground for each female plug.
    I realize that this would leave me without a proper neutral, and I dont want to bridge the two, rather create two plugs that could run two heaters, that are un polarized.
    In short- female plug with pigtails using 1 hot leg and ground for the neutral, only plugging non polarized 2 prong, low-wattage things into them. Would this be problematic? What could i do to make use of this plug, besides converting my heater to 220v, which seems about as shady...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Please consult a licensed electrician. The work will generally need to be inspected by your city's building inspectors, and signed off after the electrician is done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook