1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twisted Coil in a Magnetic Field

1. Dec 28, 2008 #1
    The idea is as it follows:

We have an homogeneus magnetic field that was increased from 0 to Bf. It induced a certain current (that accumulated to a charge Q) in a circular coil of radius a and resistivity [tex]\rho[/tex] constant. The question is, what would be the charge Q' when the coil is twisted (not strangled), forming an 8 of radii a1 and a2 in terms of Q?

Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

I don't see how charges could accumulate on a conducting coil due to an induced current.

4. Dec 29, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

The charge accumulated on a capacitor in series would be [tex]Q[a_1^2-a_2^2]/a^2[/tex].

5. Dec 29, 2008 #4
    Nono, I expressed myself terribly. The idea is ALL the charge that circulated due to i is Q, I mean [tex]\int i·dt=Q[/tex]

6. Dec 29, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Hmm it seems that in the latter case you can't just treat the 8-shape as two separate coils. For the current to flow in a particular direction in one of the the half-coil, it has to flow in the opposite circular direction. This complicates things somewhat.

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6
    The charge is separated by the capacitor.

Charge has to be conserved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?