Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twisted Coil in a Magnetic Field

1. Dec 28, 2008 #1
    The idea is as it follows:

We have an homogeneus magnetic field that was increased from 0 to Bf. It induced a certain current (that accumulated to a charge Q) in a circular coil of radius a and resistivity [tex]\rho[/tex] constant. The question is, what would be the charge Q' when the coil is twisted (not strangled), forming an 8 of radii a1 and a2 in terms of Q?

Thanks for your help
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I don't see how charges could accumulate on a conducting coil due to an induced current.
  4. Dec 29, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

The charge accumulated on a capacitor in series would be [tex]Q[a_1^2-a_2^2]/a^2[/tex].
  5. Dec 29, 2008 #4
    Nono, I expressed myself terribly. The idea is ALL the charge that circulated due to i is Q, I mean [tex]\int i·dt=Q[/tex]
  6. Dec 29, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Hmm it seems that in the latter case you can't just treat the 8-shape as two separate coils. For the current to flow in a particular direction in one of the the half-coil, it has to flow in the opposite circular direction. This complicates things somewhat.
  7. Feb 20, 2009 #6
    The charge is separated by the capacitor.

Charge has to be conserved.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?