Radius of Intersecting Circles: Arc SPX Length (3/4)*\pi

• Thread starter Helicobacter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of two intersecting circles and using a special triangle to determine the length of SX. The triangle formed has a hypotenuse of SX and angles that can be determined to find the radius.
Helicobacter
Two circles with same radius intersect, so that the outermost point of either circle goes through the other's center. Arc [tex]SPX[/tex] has length [tex](3/4)*\pi[/tex] (see attached image.)

What is the radius of either circle?

I think I could solve this problem if I knew the central angle SX, but I don't know how to identify when they hit (X). Maybe I have to form some special triangle into the image.

Attachments

• circles.bmp
    14.7 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, draw some triangles. You want to know what the length of SX is, right? So make it the hypotenuse of a right triangle with vertices S,X, and the midpoint of OS. (Has to be a right triangle by symmetry). Then figure out what kind of special triangle it is and what its angles are, etc.

Join OS and OX.

SO and SX are the radii of one circle and OX is the radius of the other circle. Since the two circles have the same radii, OX = SX = SO.
So the triangle SOX is ...? and angle SOX = ...?

1. What does the "Radius of Intersecting Circles" refer to in this equation?

The "Radius of Intersecting Circles" refers to the distance from the center of one circle to the point of intersection with another circle.

2. What does "Arc SPX Length" represent in this equation?

"Arc SPX Length" represents the length of the arc formed by the intersection of two circles, measured in units of the radius.

3. Why is the number (3/4)*\pi used in this equation?

The number (3/4)*\pi is used because it represents the angle formed by the intersection of two circles when the radius of one circle is three-fourths the length of the other.

4. How is this equation relevant in real-world applications?

This equation is relevant in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can be used to calculate the length of an arc formed by the intersection of two circular objects, which is important for designing structures, determining trajectories, and understanding the behavior of intersecting objects.

5. Is there a way to simplify this equation for easier use?

Yes, the equation can be simplified by using a decimal approximation for pi, such as 3.14, instead of the symbol (\pi). Additionally, the equation can be rewritten as (3/4)*r, where r represents the radius of one of the intersecting circles, to make it more user-friendly.