Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurability and Lebesgue integral of complex functions

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    Hi, friends! I think that it is correct to say that, given a measure space ##X##:
    • if ##f:X\to\mathbb{R}##, ##\tilde{f}:X\to\mathbb{C}## and ##\forall x\in X\quad f(x)=\tilde{f}(x)##, then ##f## is measurable if and only if ##\tilde{f}## is;
    • ##f:X\to\mathbb{C}## is Lebesgue integrable if and only if both ##\text{Re}f:X\to\mathbb{R}## and ##\text{Im}f:X\to\mathbb{R}## are; in that case ##\int_X f(x)d\mu=\int_X \text{Re}f(x)d\mu+i\int_X \text{Im}f(x)d\mu##.
    Am I right? ##\infty## thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Second statement looks OK.

First statement is confusing - I can't understand the relationship and/or difference between these two functions.

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3
    I mean: the Borel algebra of ##\mathbb{R}## and ##\mathbb{C}## are different, but I have convinced myself of that equivalence because I think that the Borel sets of ##\mathbb{R}## are Borelian as subsets of ##\mathbb{C}## and any Borel set belonging to ##\mathbb{C}## contained in ##\mathbb{R}\subset\mathbb{C}## is a Borel set considered as a subset of ##\mathbb{R}##; therefore I think that our function, which can be considered as a complex or real function defined on the measure space ##X## with measure ##\mu##, is measurable with respect to the Borel algebra of ##\mathbb{R}## (in the sense that the counterimage of any Borel set is ##\mu##-measurable), i.e. as a real function, if and only if it is with respect to the Borel algebra of ##\mathbb{C}##, i.e. as a complex function.
    Thank you so much again!

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the domain (X) is the same real line in either case, the issue you are raising is not relevant. X is the measure space. The range of the function does not come into play.

6. Oct 20, 2014 #5
    Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook