Measurability and Lebesgue integral of complex functions

In summary, the function is measurable if and only if it is with respect to the Borel algebra of ##\mathbb{C}##.
DavideGenoa
Hi, friends! I think that it is correct to say that, given a measure space ##X##:
  • if ##f:X\to\mathbb{R}##, ##\tilde{f}:X\to\mathbb{C}## and ##\forall x\in X\quad f(x)=\tilde{f}(x)##, then ##f## is measurable if and only if ##\tilde{f}## is;
  • ##f:X\to\mathbb{C}## is Lebesgue integrable if and only if both ##\text{Re}f:X\to\mathbb{R}## and ##\text{Im}f:X\to\mathbb{R}## are; in that case ##\int_X f(x)d\mu=\int_X \text{Re}f(x)d\mu+i\int_X \text{Im}f(x)d\mu##.
Am I right? ##\infty## thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Second statement looks OK.

First statement is confusing - I can't understand the relationship and/or difference between these two functions.

Likes DavideGenoa
I mean: the Borel algebra of ##\mathbb{R}## and ##\mathbb{C}## are different, but I have convinced myself of that equivalence because I think that the Borel sets of ##\mathbb{R}## are Borelian as subsets of ##\mathbb{C}## and any Borel set belonging to ##\mathbb{C}## contained in ##\mathbb{R}\subset\mathbb{C}## is a Borel set considered as a subset of ##\mathbb{R}##; therefore I think that our function, which can be considered as a complex or real function defined on the measure space ##X## with measure ##\mu##, is measurable with respect to the Borel algebra of ##\mathbb{R}## (in the sense that the counterimage of any Borel set is ##\mu##-measurable), i.e. as a real function, if and only if it is with respect to the Borel algebra of ##\mathbb{C}##, i.e. as a complex function.
Thank you so much again!

Since the domain (X) is the same real line in either case, the issue you are raising is not relevant. X is the measure space. The range of the function does not come into play.

Likes DavideGenoa
Thank you so much!

Related to Measurability and Lebesgue integral of complex functions

What is measurability of a complex function?

Measurability of a complex function refers to its ability to be measured or assigned a numerical value. In other words, a complex function is measurable if its output can be quantified.

How is the Lebesgue integral of a complex function defined?

The Lebesgue integral of a complex function is defined as the limit of a sequence of Riemann sums, where the function is approximated by a sequence of step functions. It is a more general and powerful way of integrating functions compared to the Riemann integral.

What are the benefits of using the Lebesgue integral for complex functions?

The Lebesgue integral has several advantages over the Riemann integral, such as its ability to handle a wider range of functions, including unbounded and discontinuous functions. It also allows for easier integration of complex-valued functions.

How is the Lebesgue integral of a complex function calculated?

To calculate the Lebesgue integral of a complex function, we first need to determine if the function is measurable. If it is, we then use the definition of the Lebesgue integral to find the limit of the Riemann sums. This can be done using various techniques, such as the Monotone Convergence Theorem or the Dominated Convergence Theorem.

What are some applications of the Lebesgue integral for complex functions?

The Lebesgue integral has numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve various problems in probability, statistics, and signal processing, among others. It is also used in the study of measure theory and functional analysis.