Two different definitions for sinc ?

• Thread starter reddvoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary, the sinc function in digital signal processing is different from the sinc function in mathematics.
reddvoid
i've seen in some texts they use
sin(pi t)/pi t = sinc(t)
and in some they've used just
sin(t)/t = sinc(t)
each gives different answer
for example
if i want to find FT of rect(t/tow)
using former one gives
sinc(w tow/2 pi)
and if i use former one i get
sinc (w tow / 2)

so how to know which one to use ??
Thnx. . . .

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check how the text defines the sinc.
If it is a proper text, it should define it.

According to wiki, your first variant is used in digital signal processing and information theory, while the second is used in mathematics.

I can confirm I Like Serena's post. First is the definition of sinc function in signal processing. I think we like that because sin(pi*t)/pi*t effectively eliminates the pi from the period. And you get "nice" numbers on the x-axis.

Although sinc isn't periodic, but sin is.

but these two are not equivalent right.
i mean first one goes to zero @ 1,2,3,4. . . .
And second one goes to zero at pi, 2pi,3pi. . . . .
So
sinc function in math is different from sinc function in signal processing ?

Correct.

This is not the only function that is ambiguous.
Consider the log function, which can either be the natural log or the 10-log.
Often this is not even specified, so you are supposed to deduce it from the context.

reddvoid said:
So
sinc function in math is different from sinc function in signal processing ?

It would be better to say that the sinc function in analog signal processing theory is (sometimes) different from the sinc function in digital signal processing.

In DSP the "obvious" way to number the sampled data points is 0, 1, 2, 3, etc, not 0, π, 2π, 3π, etc.

It is analogous to defining the Fourier transform, which differs in signal processing and physics by details like normalization by 1, 1/2π or sqrt(1/2π).

1. What is the mathematical definition of sinc?

The mathematical definition of sinc is a function that is used in signal processing and Fourier analysis. It is defined as sinc(x) = sin(x)/x, with a value of 1 at x=0 and approaching 0 as x approaches infinity.

2. What is the engineering definition of sinc?

The engineering definition of sinc is a digital filter that is used to remove high frequency components from a signal. It is defined as sinc(x) = sin(πx)/(πx), with a value of 1 at x=0 and approaching 0 as x approaches infinity.

3. How are the two definitions of sinc related?

The two definitions of sinc are related by a scaling factor of π. This is because the engineering definition is specifically designed for digital applications, which use discrete values, while the mathematical definition is more general and can apply to continuous functions.

4. Which definition of sinc is more commonly used?

The engineering definition of sinc is more commonly used in practical applications such as digital signal processing, while the mathematical definition is more commonly used in theoretical and mathematical contexts.

5. How is the sinc function used in practice?

The sinc function is used in practice to filter out high frequency noise from signals, to interpolate missing data points, and to design digital filters. It is also used in the field of optics to describe the diffraction pattern of a circular aperture.