Power Calculation of general electric circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the power calculation for a general circuit with voltage leading the current by a phase difference of ##\theta##. The instantaneous voltage and current are given by ##v = V_m\sin(\omega t +\theta) ; i = I_m\sin(\omega t) ## and the instantaneous power is given by ##p = V_m I_m \sin(\omega t + \theta) * \sin(\omega t) ##. The average power is calculated by dividing the power for one cycle by the duration of one cycle, which can be represented by either 0 to 2##\pi## or -##\theta## to ##2\pi - \theta##. The integral is then
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
I want to calculate the power of general circuit with voltage leading the current by phase difference of Theta
I am trying to calculate the power calculation of a general circuit with voltage leading the current by a phase difference of ##\theta##.
The instantaneous voltage is given by ##v = V_m\sin(\omega t +\theta) ; i = I_m\sin(\omega t) ##. The instantaneous power is then
##p = V_m I_m \sin(\omega t + \theta) * \sin(\omega t) ## ---> 1. The first doubt is if i draw the waveform
1606059793294.png

The average power is the power calculated for one cycle ##P_{avg} = \frac {P_{1cycle}} {Duration of 1 Cycle}## where ##P_{1cycle}## is the power for one cycle of the signal. Is my understanding correct? The duration of 1Cycle is ##2\pi##?
2. The 1 cycle can be either from 0 to 2##\pi## represented by 2a to 2b and hence the limits of integration are 0 to 2##\pi## or it can be from 1a to 1b i.e the limits of integration from ##-\theta## to ##2\pi - \theta##?
3. The integral will be
##\int_0^{2\pi} p d\theta ## or ##\int_0^{2\pi} p dt## ? How do i know which one to use? (p is from eq1)

Engineering news on Phys.org
It means equation 1.

The derivation is
##
\int_0^{2\pi} V_mI_m\sin(\omega t + \theta)*sin(\omega t) dt
##
##
\int_0^{2\pi} V_m I_m [\sin(\omega t) \cos(\theta) + \cos(\omega t) \sin(\theta)] \sin(\omega t) dt
##
##
\int_0^{2\pi} V_m I_m[\sin^2(\omega t) \cos(\theta) dt + \cos(\omega t) \sin(\omega t) \sin(\theta) dt]
##
##
P_{avg} = \frac{V_m I_m \pi \cos\theta} {2\pi} = \frac{V_mI_m\cos\theta} 2
##
It does seem to match for resistor R ##\theta = 0 ; P_{avg} = V_{rms}I_{rms} ##
for pure inductor or capacitor ##\theta = 90; P_{avg} = 0##

You actually have two options:

1) express ωt as an angle (let's say φ), and integrate wrt φ, with limits 0 to 2π or
2) express θ in seconds, and integrate wrt t, with limits 0 to 1/period (which would be (2π/ω))

both would give you the same average power value over 1 period, though you may want to stick with angles for the x-axis, assuming you want to arrive at the formula with power factor.

1. What is power calculation in general electric circuits?

Power calculation in general electric circuits is the process of determining the amount of electrical power that is being used or supplied in a circuit. It involves calculating the voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit to determine the power using Ohm's law (P = VI) or the power formula (P = I^2R).

2. Why is power calculation important in general electric circuits?

Power calculation is important in general electric circuits because it helps us understand and control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It allows us to determine the efficiency and performance of a circuit and make necessary adjustments to ensure safe and optimal operation.

3. How do you calculate power in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, power can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I) in the circuit. This can be represented by the formula P = VI. Alternatively, you can also use the power formula (P = I^2R) by first calculating the total resistance in the circuit.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC power calculation?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) power calculation is the use of different formulas. In AC circuits, the power formula is P = VIcosφ, where φ represents the phase angle between voltage and current. In DC circuits, the power formula is simply P = VI, as there is no phase angle to consider.

5. Can power calculation be used to determine the cost of electricity?

No, power calculation alone cannot be used to determine the cost of electricity. The cost of electricity also depends on the unit price of electricity, which varies by location and can change over time. However, power calculation can be used to estimate the amount of electricity being used and help in managing energy consumption to reduce costs.