1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Two hemispheres, and a shell inside dielectric material

1. Jan 8, 2017 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to solve two different questions, and I am having trouble finding the solution:

1- Spherical shell of radius R, have two hemispheres of different charge density. The northerns hemisphere is +σ and the southern hemisphere is -σ. Use direct integration to find V inside and outside the shell. (i.e V=k∫σ'/χ dr').

2- A spherical shell of radius a that have charge density of σcos(θ) is placed in a dielectric material that surround it and makes spherical shape around it with radius b. Find V in the whole space using separation of variables.[i.e shell of radius a attached from the inside to a dielectric material of radius a to b]

For (1), I solved it using separation of variables, and it does give me a series. The problem with direct integration is that there is no symmetry in the space so I cannot solve the problem on specific axis! more than that, I have no idea how to solve the problem inside the sphere.

For (2), I did solve the question but I am wondering, is the potential inside the shell is constant or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2
    I tried to be as clear and simple as possible. If anyone can help and didn't get fully what I wrote or my post seems vague, please comment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted