Did I correctly set up the two loop scalar integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with completing the square to shift loop momenta in a procedure that seems straightforward after some algebra. The person was initially stuck but eventually figured it out, and thanks the other person for their response.
Milsomonk
Homework Statement
Hi all,
I am trying to calculate a two loop scalar integral for a project at university. I'm not entirely convinced I have set the problem up correctly so I am looking for a wise person to tell me if I've made any fundamental errors so far. Also if anyone is aware of any good literature for getting started with two loop Feynman integrals I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance :)
Relevant Equations
Internal propagators:

$$
P_1 = \dfrac{i}{k^2 - m_1^2} $$\\

$$
P_2 = \dfrac{i}{(q-k)^2 - m_2^2} $$\\

$$
P_3 = \dfrac{i}{q^2 - m_3^2} $$\\

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good so far. Are you stuck for any reason? At the point where the picture cuts off, the procedure to continue seems pretty straight-forward (the integrals over ##k## and ##q## can be done after some algebra).

Hi, thanks for your reply. I was stuck on completing the square to shift the loop momenta, the way I was doing it wasn't working but eventually I did manage to figure it out. I wasn't sure if the problem was that I had made a basic error in setting up the loop integral but it seems that I had done it correctly, thanks again for your response :)

1. How do I know if I have correctly set up the two loop scalar integral?

The best way to check if you have correctly set up the two loop scalar integral is to double check your equations and make sure they are consistent with the problem you are trying to solve. You can also compare your setup to similar problems or consult with a colleague or mentor for their input.

2. What are some common mistakes when setting up a two loop scalar integral?

Some common mistakes when setting up a two loop scalar integral include not properly identifying the variables and limits of integration, forgetting to include all necessary terms or factors, and making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully review your work and double check for any mistakes before proceeding with the integral.

3. Can I use a calculator or computer program to set up the two loop scalar integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator or computer program to help set up the two loop scalar integral. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in setting up the integral, as relying solely on technology may lead to errors or hinder your understanding of the problem.

4. How do I know which method to use when setting up a two loop scalar integral?

The method used to set up a two loop scalar integral depends on the nature of the problem and the desired outcome. Some common methods include using substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and determine which method will be most effective.

5. Can I simplify the two loop scalar integral before solving it?

Yes, you can often simplify the two loop scalar integral before solving it. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, or other mathematical techniques. Simplifying the integral can make it easier to solve and may also help to identify any mistakes in the setup.