1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two masses connected by spring, find period of oscillation

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two masses are connected by spring and slide freely without friction along horizontal track. What is period of oscillation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My solution:
    let x1 be position of mass 1 (m1) and x2 be position of mass 2 (m2) and L be length of spring in equilibrium.
    Then, the total stretch of the spring is x2-x1-L. Also, F1 = -F2. Thus:

m1(x1)'' = -k(x1 - x2 + L)
    m2(x2)'' = -k(x2 - x1 - L)

Solving for x2 from first eqn and substituting back into second eqn yield:

[itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}[\frac{m1 m2}{k}(x1)''+(m1+m2)x1][/itex] = 0

I am unsure how to proceed from here, any hints? I would like to just multiply both sides by (dt^2)/d^2 but I am unsure if this is mathematically correct? It does simplify the problem though and gives me right answer...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should be well aware that ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2}## isn't a fraction.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    I dont think you really need differential equations for this one, since there is no external force there is a point on the spring that neither stretches nor compresses. on either side of this point is 2 springs with different spring constants, so effectively you have two different oscillators, with the same period.

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you know about reduced mass and how to convert a two-body problem into a one-body problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook