Two masses connected by string on a cliff

In summary, two equal masses are connected by a string on a cliff. Mass A is closer to the edge and mass B is held horizontally away from the edge. The question is whether mass B will hit the edge before mass A does. After considering the forces acting on both masses, it is determined that mass B will not hit the edge first because its horizontal acceleration and velocity will be less than that of mass A. Therefore, mass A will reach the edge of the cliff before mass B does.
issisoccer10
[SOLVED] Two masses connected by string on a cliff...

This is a general question about physics...and I'm a little confused about it..

Two equal masses (A and B) are attaced by a massless string of length L. Mass A is on a cliff and is L/2 away from the edge. Mass B is being held even horizonatally with the cliff but a length L/2 away from the edge. If you drop mass B from this position, would mass B swing down and hit the edge of the cliff before mass A reaches the edge of the cliff?

Mass A would reach the edge of the cliff because as mass B falls and pulls on A, the radius of the arc that B would need to make to reach the edge of the cliff would continually increase, thus not allowing B to hit the edge of the cliff.

Does this make sense or am I just making stuff up? Is there a better "logical" explanation that would seem to fit better with physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the stuff right, mass B can not reach the edge of the cliff again because it transfers some energy to mass A (so that mass A can move closer to the edge).

hmmm this is a pretty interesting question. I don't think there is an easy answer without actually working out the problem. I kinda did it on my table right here in my room and mass B hit the table before A slipped away, but I suspect Friction as the cause. I'm going to guess it hits just as A slips off, but maybe I'll try to work this out later :)

Hmm. Very interesting. Try out the experiment. That's the only way you can get an answer which you can trust, since you did the experiment.

The forces acting on mass B are the force of gravity and the force of tension from the rope. The forces acting on mass A are the tension, gravity, and normal force, the last two of which cancel out. The horizontal component of the force on mass a is the same as the tension in the rope, since the rope is pulling horizontally.
The horizontal component of the force on mass b is the tension in the rope times the sin of the angle that the rope makes with the vertical face of the cliff (call this angle x).
Before mass B hits the edge of the cliff:
0 <= x < 90 degrees.
Therefore, sin x < 1.
Therefore, the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force on mass B will be less than on mass A.
Therefore, the horizontal acceleration on mass B will be less than that on mass A.
Therefore, the magnitude of the velocity of mass B in the horizontal direction will be less than that of mass A (since the start out with the same velocity).
Therefore, the horizontal displacement of mass B from the moment it was dropped will be less than the horizontal displacement of mass A from that same moment.
Therefore, by the time mass B travels a distance of L/2 horizontally, mass A will have traveled a greater distance horizontally.
Therefore, it will not hit the edge of the cliff before mass A falls.

thanks a lot tomprice...that really makes sense to me

No, thanks to you, it was an interesting problem.

1. What is the purpose of connecting two masses with a string on a cliff?

The purpose of connecting two masses with a string on a cliff is to study the dynamics of the system and observe how the forces acting on the masses affect their motion.

2. How does the angle of the string affect the motion of the masses?

The angle of the string can affect the tension and direction of the forces acting on the masses, which can in turn impact their motion. As the angle increases, the tension in the string also increases, resulting in a greater centripetal force and a tighter circular motion for the masses.

3. What is the significance of the masses being on a cliff?

The cliff provides a vertical component to the motion of the masses, allowing for the study of projectile motion and the effects of gravity on the system. It also allows for the observation of potential energy and how it is converted to kinetic energy as the masses move.

4. How does the mass and length of the string affect the motion of the masses?

The mass of the masses and the length of the string can affect the period and frequency of the motion, as well as the tension in the string. A heavier mass will have a greater gravitational force and require more tension in the string to maintain circular motion. A longer string will have a larger circumference, resulting in a longer period and lower frequency of motion.

5. Can this system be used to demonstrate any physics concepts?

Yes, the system of two masses connected by a string on a cliff can be used to demonstrate various physics concepts such as circular motion, centripetal force, projectile motion, and conservation of energy. It can also be used to explore the relationship between tension, mass, and length in a system.