Two point correlation function

In summary, the conversation revolves around comparing the structures of two images at different scales using the two point correlation function. The method involves taking a two-dimensional Fourier transform and creating a power spectrum to estimate the magnitude of modes of each size. The conversation also touches upon the importance of measuring the amplitude and separation between peaks and the use of distance binning algorithms. Overall, the participants are seeking help in numerically calculating this method for images.
mikeph
Hi

I have two images and I want to compare the "structures" of them at different scales. I remember from cosmology that the two point correlation function was used to extract similar structural information from the CMB, generating a graph of structure Vs scale. Then at certain length scales you have peaks which correspond to physical occurrences.

edit-this is the image I'm talking about.

cmb-cmbpowerspectrum.png
This is exactly what I'd like to apply to my image, but after searching the internet I can't find much that helps me actually numerically calculate this for an image. Does anyone know any good tutorials for actually doing this?It's my understanding that this method is favourable to taking a Fourier/cosine transform as these methods are biased towards finding structure along the x-y axes? My image is isotropic so I have no reason to care about one direction more than another.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be brilliant, thanks
Mike

Space news on Phys.org
MikeyW said:
Hi

I have two images and I want to compare the "structures" of them at different scales. I remember from cosmology that the two point correlation function was used to extract similar structural information from the CMB, generating a graph of structure Vs scale. Then at certain length scales you have peaks which correspond to physical occurrences.

edit-this is the image I'm talking about.

cmb-cmbpowerspectrum.png

This is exactly what I'd like to apply to my image, but after searching the internet I can't find much that helps me actually numerically calculate this for an image. Does anyone know any good tutorials for actually doing this?

It's my understanding that this method is favourable to taking a Fourier/cosine transform as these methods are biased towards finding structure along the x-y axes? My image is isotropic so I have no reason to care about one direction more than another.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be brilliant, thanks
Mike
Yeah, if you want to calculate this sort of thing for a flat, rectangular image, you just take the two-dimensional Fourier transform of the image (this doesn't bias things towards horizontal/vertical modes, by the way...it just as well represents diagonal modes). Then, once that's done, the image above is what is known as a "power spectrum": it is an estimate of the magnitude of modes of each size.

So, if your FFT is defined as [itex]a(k_x, k_y)[/itex], then the power spectrum can be estimated by producing a series of bins where [itex]k_x^2 + k_y^2[/itex] are approximately equal, and averaging [itex]aa^*[/itex] in each bin.

A rather easy way to do the binning would be to, for each [itex]k_x, k_y[/itex] pair, compute [itex]\sqrt{k_x^2 + k_y^2}[/itex], and the bin it goes into is the nearest integer.

Measuring the amplitude and separation between peaks is the important part of this exercise. The first two peaks are solid. It gets squishy after that. You can't ignore data sets because they don't match the model.

Thanks Chalnoth - I already wrote a kind of distance binning algorithm, just didn't know how to use it.

Chronos- I'm not sure I understand your reply, I'm not ignoring any data.

MikeyW said:
Thanks Chalnoth - I already wrote a kind of distance binning algorithm, just didn't know how to use it.

Chronos- I'm not sure I understand your reply, I'm not ignoring any data.
No problem! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. This kind of thing is what I do :)

...and I think he misread you.

Apologies, I never meant to suggest anyone was ignoring data.

Apologies, I never meant to suggest anyone was ignoring data.

Related to Two point correlation function

1. What is the Two Point Correlation Function?

The Two Point Correlation Function is a statistical measure used in cosmology and astronomy to quantify the clustering of galaxies or other celestial objects. It calculates the excess probability of finding two objects at a given distance compared to a random distribution.

2. How is the Two Point Correlation Function calculated?

The Two Point Correlation Function is calculated by taking the ratio of the number of pairs of objects at a given separation distance to the expected number of pairs in a random distribution. This calculation is repeated for various separation distances to create a correlation function plot.

3. What does the Two Point Correlation Function tell us about the distribution of objects?

The Two Point Correlation Function provides information about the clustering of objects in a particular area of the sky. A high value of the correlation function at a specific distance indicates a higher probability of finding objects at that distance, suggesting a clustered distribution.

4. How is the Two Point Correlation Function used in cosmology?

In cosmology, the Two Point Correlation Function is used to study the large-scale structure of the universe and the distribution of galaxies. By analyzing the correlation function, scientists can determine the scale and strength of the clustering, providing insights into the evolution and structure of the universe.

5. What are some limitations of the Two Point Correlation Function?

One limitation of the Two Point Correlation Function is that it only measures the clustering of objects along one-dimensional lines of sight. It does not provide information about the three-dimensional distribution of objects. Additionally, the interpretation of the correlation function can be affected by various biases, such as the selection of objects and the effects of redshift.