Two slit interference: new intensity after doubling width

In summary, the solution is: Cracked it, @maxim07 :In summary, the solution is: Cracked it, @maxim07 :In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is: In summary, the solution is:
maxim07
Homework Statement
A 2 slit interference pattern is viewed on a screen at distance R>>d from the plane of the slits where d is the slit spacing. If y is the transverse displacement across the screen, with y = 0 corresponding to the forward direction from the centre of the slits the intensity on the screen for small y is given by I = Icos^2(y*pi*d/wR), w is wavelength

If one of the slits is made twice as wide so that the amplitude of the point source has doubled show the intensity becomes

I’ = I/4(9cos^2(y*pi*d/wR) +1)
Relevant Equations
Cos(A) + cos(B) = 2cos(A+B/2)cos(A-B/2)
Here is the solution, I understand how they got E, but I don’t see how they could get E’ from cosine addition formulas? I don’t need to know how to do it with complex numbers.

578AC464-5454-42AD-903B-0608511081BA.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
From a little experimentation, I got that ##\alpha=2\phi/3##. But when I plug that in it does not seem to work. Might be an issue with multiple solutions of ##arccos(c)##.

Cracked it, @maxim07 :
##\cos(\theta)+2\cos(\theta+\phi)=\cos(\theta)+2\cos(\theta)\cos(\phi)-2\sin(\theta)\sin(\phi)##
##=\cos(\theta)(1+2\cos(\phi))-2\sin(\theta)\sin(\phi)##.
Defining ##\cos(\alpha)=\frac{1+2\cos(\phi)}{\sqrt{5+4\cos(\phi)}}## we find that ##\sin(\alpha)=\frac{2\sin(\phi)}{\sqrt{5+4\cos(\phi)}}##
So ##\cos(\theta)+2\cos(\theta+\phi)=(\cos(\theta)\cos(\alpha)-\sin(\theta)\sin(\alpha))\sqrt{5+4\cos(\phi)}##

Last edited:
But if you didn’t know the end result where would the sqrt(5 + 4cos(φ)) come from ?

The key is to write ##\cos \theta + 2 \cos (\theta + \phi)## as one cosine expression. That is, find ##A## and ##\alpha## such that $$\cos \theta + 2 \cos (\theta + \phi) = A \cos(\theta + \alpha)$$ for all values of ##\theta##.

Hint: One approach is to expand ##\cos(\theta + \phi)## on the left side of the above equation and expand ##\cos(\theta + \alpha)## on the right. Rearrange the overall equation by collecting together all terms containing ##\cos \theta## and all terms containing ##\sin \theta##. Thus obtain an equation of the form $$a \cos\theta + b \sin\theta = 0$$ where ##a## and ##b## are expressions in terms of ##A##, ##\alpha##, and ##\phi##. For this equation to hold for all possible choices of ##\theta##, what can you say about ##a## and ##b##?

An alternate approach is to use phasors. But, I don't know if you are familiar with this method.

maxim07 said:
But if you didn’t know the end result where would the sqrt(5 + 4cos(φ)) come from ?
Faced with an equation like ##A\sin(x)+B\cos(x)=C## a useful trick is to let ##\cos(y)=\frac A{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}##, so ##\sin(y)=\frac B{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}## and ##\frac C{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}=\frac A{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\sin(x)+\frac B{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(x)=\cos(y)\sin(x)+\sin(y)\cos(x)##
##=\sin(x+y)##.

TSny said:
The key is to write ##\cos \theta + 2 \cos (\theta + \phi)## as one cosine expression. That is, find ##A## and ##\alpha## such that $$\cos \theta + 2 \cos (\theta + \phi) = A \cos(\theta + \alpha)$$ for all values of ##\theta##.

Hint: One approach is to expand ##\cos(\theta + \phi)## on the left side of the above equation and expand ##\cos(\theta + \alpha)## on the right. Rearrange the overall equation by collecting together all terms containing ##\cos \theta## and all terms containing ##\sin \theta##. Thus obtain an equation of the form $$a \cos\theta + b \sin\theta = 0$$ where ##a## and ##b## are expressions in terms of ##A##, ##\alpha##, and ##\phi##. For this equation to hold for all possible choices of ##\theta##, what can you say about ##a## and ##b##?

An alternate approach is to use phasors. But, I don't know if you are familiar with this method.
tanθ = -a/b ?

maxim07 said:
tanθ = -a/b ?
If you have an equation of the form ##a \cos \theta + b \sin \theta = 0##, where ##a## and ##b## are independent of ##\theta##, and if the equation is to hold for all ##\theta##, then you can conclude that ##a = 0## and ##b = 0##. For example, you can let ##\theta = 0## to get ##a = 0##.

Ah okay, so then I get 1 + 2cos Φ - Acos α= 0 and -2sin Φ + Asin α = 0

maxim07 said:
Ah okay, so then I get 1 + 2cos Φ - Acos α= 0 and -2sin Φ + Asin α = 0
Looks good. You have two unknowns: ##A## and ##\alpha##. And you have two equations.

Can you eliminate ##\alpha## so that you get one equation for ##A##? Hint: ##\sin^2\alpha + \cos^2\alpha = 1##.

Greta thanks solved it

Likes TSny

1. What is two slit interference?

Two slit interference is a phenomenon in physics where a wave, such as light or sound, passes through two parallel slits and creates an interference pattern on a screen or detector.

2. How does doubling the width of the slits affect the interference pattern?

When the width of the slits is doubled, the interference pattern will also change. The pattern will become wider and the intensity of the bright fringes will decrease, while the intensity of the dark fringes will increase.

3. What is the mathematical relationship between the width of the slits and the interference pattern?

The mathematical relationship between the width of the slits and the interference pattern is described by the equation d*sin(θ) = mλ, where d is the distance between the slits, θ is the angle of the bright fringes, m is the order of the bright fringe, and λ is the wavelength of the wave.

4. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit spacing, affects the interference pattern by changing the angle of the bright fringes. As the slit spacing increases, the angle of the bright fringes decreases, resulting in a wider interference pattern.

5. What is the significance of two slit interference in the study of light and optics?

Two slit interference is significant in the study of light and optics because it demonstrates the wave nature of light. It also allows scientists to measure the wavelength of light and study its properties, such as diffraction and interference.