Two Slit Interference Question =] Thanks

In summary, the problem involves monochromatic light of wavelength 656 nm being incident on a vertical plate with two slits, resulting in an interference pattern on a screen 3.4m away. The location of the first and third intensity minima on the screen is calculated using the equations y = L tan(theta) and d*sin(theta) = (m-1/2)lambda. A second monochromatic beam is then introduced and it is noted that the second maximum of this beam occurs at the third minimum of the first beam. The wavelength of the second beam is then calculated using the equation (3-1/2)lambda1 = lambda2. However, there may be an error in the calculation as the obtained value
chipmunk951

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light of wavelength 656 nm is normally incident on a vertical plate with two slits at positions +-d/2 where d=.25mm, the resultant interference pattern is observed on a screen at distance D= 3.4m away, let y denote vertical position on the screen with y=0 at the same height as the midpoint between the two slits. Picture attached
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/5378/showmeplmx4.gif

a) What is the location y1 of the first intensity minimum on the screen, measured up from the central maximum?

b) what is the location y3 of the third intensity minimum on the screen?

c) A Second monochromatic beam is normally incident on the same slits. The second maximum pof the second beam occurs at y3, the third minimum of hte first beam. What is the wavelength of the second beam?

Homework Equations

y=L tan theta
d*sin theta = m lambda
d*sin theta = (m-1/2) lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a) It's a dark fringe so dsin theta = (m-1/2) lambda and m=1 because it's the first one, and solve for theta, use y= L tan theta, take the difference which is y-0 and you get y1, whihc in my case is 4.4608 mm

b) Same thing except m is now 3, ends up being 22.3045 mm

c) here's where I got stuck, It said the second max of the second beam occurs at y3, the third minimum of the first beam, here's what I thought I Could do,

d*sin theta = (3-1/2)lambda1 This is for the y3, third minimum
d*sin theta = 2lambda2 This is for the second beam, set them equal to each other
(3-1/2)lambda1 = 2 lambda2
And solve for lambda2, but this didn't work, i got a value of 8.2e-7 and it's not correct :(, I also tried going backwards with my location y3, solving for the angle and doing (d*sin theta)/2 but i go the same answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Second maximum is for m=1 (first maximum is in the center, at m=0)

nasu said:
Second maximum is for m=1 (first maximum is in the center, at m=0)

So it will be like

(3-1/2)lambda1 = lambda2

?

chipmunk951 said:
So it will be like

(3-1/2)lambda1 = lambda2

?

+1 Bump

chipmunk951 said:
+1 Bump

Bump, that still didn't work and I'm kind of out of ideas >.<

1. What is the two slit interference phenomenon?

The two slit interference phenomenon is a phenomenon in which light or other waves passing through two closely spaced slits create an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This pattern is a result of the waves interfering with each other constructively and destructively.

2. What is the significance of the two slit interference phenomenon?

The two slit interference phenomenon is significant because it provides evidence for the wave nature of light and other waves. It also helps to explain the behavior of particles, such as electrons, which also exhibit interference patterns when passing through two slits.

3. How does the distance between the two slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the two slits has a direct impact on the interference pattern. The closer the slits are to each other, the wider the interference pattern will be, and the further apart the slits are, the narrower the interference pattern will be.

4. Can the two slit interference pattern be observed with any type of wave?

Yes, the two slit interference pattern can be observed with any type of wave, including light, sound, and water waves. This phenomenon is not limited to just one type of wave.

5. How is the two slit interference pattern affected by the wavelength of the waves?

The two slit interference pattern is directly affected by the wavelength of the waves. As the wavelength increases, the distance between the bright fringes of the interference pattern also increases. This means that for longer wavelengths, the interference pattern will appear wider, and for shorter wavelengths, it will appear narrower.