1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two spheres mass of inertia multivariable calculus problem

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R be the solid region that is bounded by two spheres x^2 + y^2 + z^2=1 and x^2 + y^2 + z^2=2. Determine the moment of inertia of R around the x-axis if the mass density per unit volume of R is u=sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2).

2. Relevant equations

Moment of Inertia around the x-axis: triple integral (y^2+z^2)*u(x,y,z) dxdydz

using (p,@,theta) for spherical coordinates as it will be faster to type, sorry for any confusion.

spherical coordinates:
    x=psin(@)cos(theta)
    y=psin(@)sin(theta)
    z=pcos(@)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the Moment of Inertia around the x-axis equation, i first got the equation:

triple integral (y^2+z^2)*sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) dxdydz

now converting to spherical coordinates i got:

triple intergal (p^2*sin^2(@)*sin^2(theta) + p^2*cos^2(@))*sqrt(p^2*sin^2(@)*cos^2(theta) + p^2*sin^2(@)*sin^2(theta) + p^2*cos^2(@)) dpd@dtheta

After some simplification:

triple intergal p^3(sin^2(@)sin^2(theta) + cos^2(@)) dpd@dtheta

where 1<p<sqrt(2) and 0<@<pi and 0<theta<2pi

the 1<p<sqrt(2) is because of the two radius and the other two because its a sphere and its centred at the origin, i know 0<theta<2pi is correct but i'm not sure if 0<@<pi or 0<@<2pi.

solving this integral i got 9*pi^2/4 which i'm not sure is correct as i'm not sure if i'm even able to do it this way, any tips or help would be much appreciated !

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You have forgotten that [itex]dx\,dy\,dz = \rho^2 \sin \phi\,d\rho\,d\theta\,d\phi[/itex]. The region you are integrating over is [itex]\{1 \leq \rho \leq \sqrt{2}, 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi, 0 \leq \phi \leq \pi\}[/itex].

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Because of spherical symmetry in the problem, the moment of inertia about the x-axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the z-axis. In the latter calculation, the integral is a little simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted