Understanding Fluid Resistance and Drag Forces in Swimming and Tug of War

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons for the stretching of a swimmer and the possibility of one team winning in a tug of war with equal and opposite forces. The summary also mentions factors affecting fluid resistance and provides resources for further reading.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

1) When a swimmer dives into water just before piercing himself into water, he stretches himself. Why?

2)In a tug of war if the parties on both ends of the rope apply apply equal and opposite forces on each other then how can one party win?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think, on stretching the body the resistance force by water on swimmer would decrease. But I cannot figure out the reason for it? Please help me.

2)I simply cannot figure out the reason. I drew the FBD's
the forces on the rope cancel out. the tension and the friction on each party is the same. But then how can a team win?

Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement

1) When a swimmer dives into water just before piercing himself into water, he stretches himself. Why?

2)In a tug of war if the parties on both ends of the rope apply apply equal and opposite forces on each other then how can one party win?

1) I think, on stretching the body the resistance force by water on swimmer would decrease. But I cannot figure out the reason for it? Please help me.

the forces on the rope cancel out. the tension and the friction on each party is the same. But then how can a team win?
For question (1) the only thing that I can think of it that the reaction force from the water would tend to compress the body, stretching would counteract this.

For question (2) whilst the forces may be equal, what about the masses of the teams?

ritwik06 said:

Stretching out minimizes cross-sectional area.

Is the friction force the same? Are the masses the same?

Doc Al said:
Stretching out minimizes cross-sectional area.
So is the resisting force cross section dependent?

Last edited:
ritwik06 said:
So is the resisting force cross section dependent?

I am waiting for your answer sir. What kind of force is this? On what factors does it depend except for the cross section and how? Where can I read about it?

smaller cross sectional area=less mass of water you are hitting with the same force.

Look up fluid resistance or drag forces. It depends on several factors, including the nature of the fluid (viscosity), the size (cross-sectional area) and shape of the object, and the speed. There are several models used. Flip through some of these links: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/flufri.html#c1"

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
Look up fluid resistance or drag forces. It depends on several factors, including the nature of the fluid (viscosity), the size (cross-sectional area) and shape of the object, and the speed. There are several models used. Flip through some of these links: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/flufri.html#c1"

Thanks a lot sir! I have got what I desired. Thanks again for solving my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Fluid Resistance and Drag Forces in Swimming and Tug of War

1. What are the two questions?

The two questions are not specified in the prompt and may vary depending on the context. As a scientist, it is important to ask specific and well-defined questions to guide research and experimentation.

2. Why are the questions described as "very short"?

The questions may be described as "very short" because they are concise and to the point, without any unnecessary details or complexities. This allows for a clear and direct focus on the research topic.

3. How do the questions relate to scientific inquiry?

The questions may relate to scientific inquiry by proposing a specific problem or topic to be investigated, in order to gain a better understanding or explanation of a phenomenon or concept.

4. Can you provide an example of two very short questions?

Examples of two very short questions may include: "What is the effect of temperature on plant growth?" or "How does exercise impact cognitive function in older adults?" These questions are specific, concise, and can be tested through research and experimentation.

5. How can asking two very short questions lead to scientific discoveries?

Asking two very short questions can lead to scientific discoveries by providing a focused direction for research and experimentation. By clearly defining the problem or topic to be investigated, scientists can systematically gather and analyze data, ultimately leading to new insights and discoveries in the field.