Types of PF Posters - Identify Which Is You?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary, Micromass, you seem to fit into one of the following categories:The professorThese are among the most knowledgeable posters on the forum. They rarely start any threads, but the love answering them. But when anybody corrects them, all hell breaks loose on the thread!The politicianThese love to argue in the politics section. They rarely post outside it though. If you post anything remotely political, you must have ran into them.The social birdsThese love talking about nothing and everything in the general discussion section. Everybody loves them.The administratorThey tend to keep low and only appear when they are called. Simply typing @Greg Bernhardt
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Anything I've missed? Which one do you identify with?

The professor
These are among the most knowledgeable posters on the forum. They rarely start any threads, but the love answering them. But when anybody corrects them, all hell breaks loose on the thread!

The politician
These love to argue in the politics section. They rarely post outside it though. If you post anything remotely political, you must have ran into them.

The social birds
These love talking about nothing and everything in the general discussion section. Everybody loves them.

The administrator
They tend to keep low and only appear when they are called. Simply typing @Greg Bernhardt summons them.

The over-ambitious student
They are often too ambitious for their knowledge. You recognize them by threads asking for help on problems in Jackson while they are currently in a trig class.

The crackpot
They appear once in a while, but aren't as numerous here as they once were. The administrators keep them out.

The confused student
The more you help them, the more they get confused. Can lash out when they aren't helped in 10 minutes time.

The science amateur
They're interested in science, and love to read up on new things. But they lack the will to study it formally.

The lurker
Just reads. Never talks.

The good student
Asks for help in a nice way. Threads are always very structured and informative. People love helping them. They are a rare breed.

The lazy student
Don't bother to learn LaTeX. Posts pictures with vague unreadable handwriting (and often the pictures are upside down). Expects to get the full solution quickly. Often doesn't reply again.

Last edited:
Likes EnumaElish, Pepper Mint, Nidum and 10 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, there is an important class missing. The ones who throw up their question here (unedited, photos which have to be turned if readable at all, and so on) assuming all work would be done magically by a well-minded naive person and eventually never be seen again.

Likes Evo
Right, I'll add it. Thanks.

None of the above. Though @phinds accused me of being a troll the first day I joined :oldlaugh:

I like it when all hell breaks loose on a thread.

Likes Psinter
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Though @phinds accused me of being a troll the first day I joined :oldlaugh:

It's his way of saying welcome.

Likes 1oldman2, phinds, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
I perceive there to be definite types, but I would have created a completely different classification system.

Likes EnumaElish
You left out the cranky old guy category where I belong.

walter small.JPG

Likes Kevin McHugh, davenn, 1oldman2 and 1 other person
I have never been accused of being a troll ever in any forum I have been. I just happen to like funny stuff. And cute stuff. I mean, cute stuff will be cute.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Micromass, you are ignoring me! I'll tell you something when you tell me something. You haven't said which one you are.

Thread locked until then. No wait... better. Psinter's reply reserved until then. :approve:

I probably reside somewhere between the professor and science amateur. Undergraduate work gets boring quickly, but I'm no where near as knowledgeable as those in graduate school, which I don't plan on doing until my daughter gets older. It's as if I'm teetering on the edge.

:DD I share with each class some bits and don't know which one I am belonging to now. Sometimes I lurk, and am a crackpot etc. But I think I like social birds:-p.

Last edited:
Don't forget "The Im-poster" category. :wink:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Pepper Mint and Drakkith
phinds said:
You left out the cranky old guy category where I belong.

Seconded.

Likes phinds
micromass said:
The good student
Asks for help in a nice way. Threads are always very structured and informative. People love helping them. They are a rare breed.
Its too good to include me, but looks like its the only choice!

How do I say I'm a lurker without posting?? :eek:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, member 587159, 1oldman2 and 2 others
Aniruddha@94 said:
How do I say I'm a lurker without posting?? :eek:

Like trying to observe the path of a photon, it cannot be done.

Likes member 587159, 1oldman2, ProfuselyQuarky and 2 others
You forgot this kind of poster. I don't have a name for it, but I admit falling prey of it: o0)
7Nwlc2Q.png
Although it's not exclusive from here. It happens in nearly all places of the internet where individuals can comment.

However, if you zoom out and look at the bigger picture, you have:
vDh3el1.png
:-p

Likes BCHC, DrClaude, Drakkith and 4 others
I'm somewhere between Professor and Lurker. If someone posts an interesting question that is not already too bogged down with replies, and it looks like I can actually help by writing a very short response without having them come back with a billion more questions, then maybe I'll respond. But only if I don't have to write out more than a line or two of LaTeX. :P

There's also the Crusading Nitpicker, who has strong opinions about how a certain topic should be taught or described, and voices those opinions in every thread that even tangentially mentions that topic. He usually specializes in one specific topic.

Likes beamie564 and Drakkith
@Psinter Although you are right and I like the picture very much, it's a little bit unfair.

From a poster's point of view the whole world is condensed in his question and it seems clear, that anybody of those "established physicists" had read his books, too, and knows his terminology for certain.
Of course this isn't always the case and you have to find out a lot of "meta-stuff": level of knowledge, understanding, sometimes age, notations as the choice of variables, goal (short term as well as long term), sometimes mood of all parties involved and probably some more.

With respect to this, I found and find PF astonishingly helpful and serious. Even on subjects, that are not automatically physical or mathematical.

Likes Psinter
I am a hybrid.
Or maybe a chimera.
Social-Amateur.

Likes Psinter
fresh_42 said:
@Psinter Although you are right and I like the picture very much, it's a little bit unfair.

From a poster's point of view the whole world is condensed in his question and it seems clear, that anybody of those "established physicists" had read his books, too, and knows his terminology for certain.
Of course this isn't always the case and you have to find out a lot of "meta-stuff": level of knowledge, understanding, sometimes age, notations as the choice of variables, goal (short term as well as long term), sometimes mood of all parties involved and probably some more.

With respect to this, I found and find PF astonishingly helpful and serious. Even on subjects, that are not automatically physical or mathematical.
I agree that sometimes it is helpful.

My opinion is that it's not unfair because I'm not frowning down on it. Just laughing at it and not in a negative mocking way. Laughing in the sort of way that one laughs at oneself from time to time. Straying from the point happens very often. It's sort common in human conversations. And I agree with you that it is sometimes helpful to stray from the point to show a bigger picture and concepts that are important into the discussion of a subject at hand.

It happens to me from time to time and it's not until I take a step back that I realize I went off topic.

I mean, do you remember when the United States president of 1888 said that... argh! I went off topic again. :-p

@Psinter, your picture is hilarious!

Likes Psinter
Drakkith said:
@Psinter, your picture is hilarious!
Seems there is a need for a new badge: inclination value. :cool:

Likes Psinter
fresh_42 said:
Seems there is a need for a new badge: inclination value. :cool:

Not sure I get the joke. :frown:

Simply one main person can work in in 2 or more classes. If e.g Evo sits up there and watches him, she'll recognize only one and so she is making a mistake in case he masks himself. She may have to figure out a way to get all classes he is a member of.
This I think is a difficult part that people may misunderstand easily.

Drakkith said:
Not sure I get the joke. :frown:
inclination.jpg

But I'm not quite sure whether the label should be "for real" or "for what the poster thinks it has to be".

Likes beamie564 and 1oldman2
fresh_42 said:
View attachment 103977

But I'm not quite sure whether the label should be "for real" or "for what the poster thinks it has to be".
Its like a Feynman diagram for intellect ! :woot:

Likes fresh_42 and Drakkith
Anyone who has roamed the academic guidance section has seen the indecisive. These are soon-to-be high school graduates who have two possible callings in life: they can't decide between engineering practical devices for industry, and studying 37-dimensional hyperbolic superstring time-travel theory, as if there's nothing in between the two.

Likes beamie564, Nidum, ProfuselyQuarky and 2 others
axmls said:
Anyone who has roamed the academic guidance section has seen the indecisive. These are soon-to-be high school graduates who have two possible callings in life: they can't decide between engineering practical devices for industry, and studying 37-dimensional hyperbolic superstring time-travel theory, as if there's nothing in between the two.
That reminds me on some strategies which could often be observed when I was at the university. I used to call it academic triple jump.

Folks started to study micro economics, business.
Until - oops - "Where does all the math come from?" And usually it has been some basic statistics and interest rate calculations.
So they changed towards macro economics, national economics.
Until - oops - "There is even more math!?" And this time some serious calculus has been involved.
In the end, they all ended up trying some jurisprudence.

I think I reside in the science amateur category with a non - amateur label for CS (upper undergrad to grad line), but amateur to my other interests in Physics, with some deviance to that I study formal textbooks all the time. Also I touch a little - maybe not too little :smile: , to phinds category.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
No poll to vote?
Anyway I can't identify myself with any of the mentioned types:olduhh:

I spent around 18 months lurking PF before I made an account, so I suppose that makes me a lurker.

Holding in the crackpot slot for over ten years, needs a special theme song :biggrin::eek::sorry:

Likes DrClaude and OmCheeto
RonL said:
Holding in the crackpot slot for over ten years, needs a special theme song :biggrin::eek::sorry:

shhhh!

You're not supposed to tell them, that we infiltrated

ps. I would classify us as autodidacts: "We don't know nothin', but this sciencey stuff sure is interesting".
pps. Not sure about you, but I also suffer from attention deficit disorder. Every time an interesting question pops up, here at the forum, I have to do a stinkin' experiment to see how it works, for myself. I don't trust anybody.

Likes RonL and collinsmark
OmCheeto said:
shhhh!

You're not supposed to tell them, that we infiltrated

ps. I would classify us as autodidacts: "We don't know nothin', but this sciencey stuff sure is interesting".
pps. Not sure about you, but I also suffer from attention deficit disorder. Every time an interesting question pops up, here at the forum, I have to do a stinkin' experiment to see how it works, for myself. I don't trust anybody.
You have me correctly pegged in every way, I just can't stay focused long enough to do any experiments. :smile: