Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Types of PF posters

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Anything I've missed? Which one do you identify with?

The professor
    These are among the most knowledgeable posters on the forum. They rarely start any threads, but the love answering them. But when anybody corrects them, all hell breaks loose on the thread!

The politician
    These love to argue in the politics section. They rarely post outside it though. If you post anything remotely political, you must have ran into them.

The social birds
    These love talking about nothing and everything in the general discussion section. Everybody loves them.

The administrator
    They tend to keep low and only appear when they are called. Simply typing @Greg Bernhardt summons them.

The over-ambitious student
    They are often too ambitious for their knowledge. You recognize them by threads asking for help on problems in Jackson while they are currently in a trig class.

The crackpot
    They appear once in a while, but aren't as numerous here as they once were. The administrators keep them out.

The confused student
    The more you help them, the more they get confused. Can lash out when they aren't helped in 10 minutes time.

The science amateur
    They're interested in science, and love to read up on new things. But they lack the will to study it formally.

The lurker
    Just reads. Never talks.

The good student
    Asks for help in a nice way. Threads are always very structured and informative. People love helping them. They are a rare breed.

The lazy student
    Don't bother to learn LaTeX. Posts pictures with vague unreadable handwriting (and often the pictures are upside down). Expects to get the full solution quickly. Often doesn't reply again.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Oh, there is an important class missing. The ones who throw up their question here (unedited, photos which have to be turned if readable at all, and so on) assuming all work would be done magically by a well-minded naive person and eventually never be seen again.

4. Jul 27, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Right, I'll add it. Thanks.

5. Jul 27, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

None of the above. Though @phinds accused me of being a troll the first day I joined :oldlaugh:

I like it when all hell breaks loose on a thread.

6. Jul 27, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's his way of saying welcome.

7. Jul 27, 2016 #6
    I perceive there to be definite types, but I would have created a completely different classification system.

8. Jul 27, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You left out the cranky old guy category where I belong.

walter small.JPG

9. Jul 27, 2016 #8
    I have never been accused of being a troll ever in any forum I have been. I just happen to like funny stuff. And cute stuff. I mean, cute stuff will be cute.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Micromass, you are ignoring me! I'll tell you something when you tell me something. You haven't said which one you are.

Thread locked until then. No wait... better. Psinter's reply reserved until then. :approve:

10. Jul 27, 2016 #9

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

I probably reside somewhere between the professor and science amateur. Undergraduate work gets boring quickly, but I'm no where near as knowledgeable as those in graduate school, which I don't plan on doing until my daughter gets older. It's as if I'm teetering on the edge.

11. Jul 28, 2016 #10
    :DD I share with each class some bits and don't know which one I am belonging to now. Sometimes I lurk, and am a crackpot etc. But I think I like social birds:-p.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  12. Jul 28, 2016 #11

1oldman2

Gold Member

Don't forget "The Im-poster" category. :wink:

13. Jul 28, 2016 #12

Drakkith

Seconded.

14. Jul 28, 2016 #13

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Its too good to include me, but looks like its the only choice!

15. Jul 28, 2016 #14
    How do I say I'm a lurker without posting?? :eek:

16. Jul 28, 2016 #15

Drakkith

Like trying to observe the path of a photon, it cannot be done.

17. Jul 28, 2016 #16
    You forgot this kind of poster. I don't have a name for it, but I admit falling prey of it: o0)
    7Nwlc2Q.png

Although it's not exclusive from here. It happens in nearly all places of the internet where individuals can comment.

However, if you zoom out and look at the bigger picture, you have:
    vDh3el1.png
    :-p

18. Jul 28, 2016 #17

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm somewhere between Professor and Lurker. If someone posts an interesting question that is not already too bogged down with replies, and it looks like I can actually help by writing a very short response without having them come back with a billion more questions, then maybe I'll respond. But only if I don't have to write out more than a line or two of LaTeX. :P

19. Jul 28, 2016 #18

jtbell

There's also the Crusading Nitpicker, who has strong opinions about how a certain topic should be taught or described, and voices those opinions in every thread that even tangentially mentions that topic. He usually specializes in one specific topic.

20. Jul 28, 2016 #19

fresh_42

@Psinter Although you are right and I like the picture very much, it's a little bit unfair.

From a poster's point of view the whole world is condensed in his question and it seems clear, that anybody of those "established physicists" had read his books, too, and knows his terminology for certain.
    Of course this isn't always the case and you have to find out a lot of "meta-stuff": level of knowledge, understanding, sometimes age, notations as the choice of variables, goal (short term as well as long term), sometimes mood of all parties involved and probably some more.

With respect to this, I found and find PF astonishingly helpful and serious. Even on subjects, that are not automatically physical or mathematical.

21. Jul 28, 2016 #20
    I am a hybrid.
    Or maybe a chimera.
    Social-Amateur.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted