Exploring U-235 Decay Reactions

In summary, uranium-235 can undergo various decay reactions when a slow neutron collides with it, resulting in different combinations of products. These reactions are dependent on the conservation of total neutrons and protons, and there are countless possibilities for the products. The frequency of these reactions can be estimated using data from the National Nuclear Data Center, where it is seen that nuclides with masses around 90 and 135 are commonly produced. By assuming the production of three neutrons, other possible products can be identified and their probabilities can be estimated.
Froskoy
Hi,

I know that there are a number of different ways that uranium-235 can decay when a slow neutron collides with it.

I am trying to get a picture of all the possible reactions that can occur.

One is U-235+n --> Ba-144 + Kr-90 +2n

Another is: U-235 +n --> Xe-140 + Sr-94 +2n

Can anyone give me any more examples of how it can decay? Can anyone give me an example where three neutrons are produced?

What is the probability of each reaction occurring? The two I have here seem to be used pretty widely as examples, so I guess their probability would be higher than some others.

Many thanks,

Froskoy

EDIT: Just found U-235+n --> Xe-143 + Sr-90 + 3n... any others?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It can decay into anything where the total number of neutrons and protons is conserved. You can make up literally thousands of examples.

You'll find this data at the NNDC useful for answering part of your question:

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/reColor.jsp?newColor=235ufy"

The colors show the relative frequency in which a given nuclide appears as a product of thermal fission of U-235. Notice that for thermal fission, the two most common regions are centered around about A = 90 and A = 135. That's why you'll see nuclides with those specific masses used as examples for products frequently. The region in the center around A = 115 isn't as frequent for thermal fission. If you click on one of the colored nuclides, you'll get some information at the bottom. The right column tells you how often that particular nuclide appears as a product of thermal fission. For example, click on Xe-135 and you'll see a fission yield of 0.00178. The fission yields won't tell you how often that particular decay happens since each one includes all possible numbers of neutrons (which can range from about 0 to 6 or more), but they'll at least give you an order of magnitude idea.

If you assume 3 neutrons, the other product would be A = 235 - 3 - 135 = 97 and Z = 92 - 54 = 38, so Sr-97. You can go through the chart and pick out as many possibilities as you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is U-235?

U-235, or uranium-235, is a naturally occurring radioactive isotope of uranium. It is one of the three isotopes of uranium found in nature, along with U-234 and U-238.

2. What is a decay reaction?

A decay reaction is a process in which an unstable atom, such as U-235, releases energy and particles in order to become more stable. This can result in a change in the atom's nucleus, known as radioactive decay.

3. How is U-235 used in nuclear power?

U-235 is used as a fuel in nuclear reactors, where it undergoes controlled decay reactions to produce heat. This heat is then used to generate steam, which powers turbines to produce electricity.

4. What is the half-life of U-235?

The half-life of U-235 is approximately 704 million years. This means that it takes 704 million years for half of a sample of U-235 to decay into other elements.

5. What are the dangers of U-235 decay reactions?

U-235 decay reactions can release harmful radiation, which can be dangerous to living organisms. Exposure to high levels of radiation can cause damage to cells and tissues, and can even lead to cancer. Proper safety precautions must be taken when working with U-235 and other radioactive materials.