Ubuntu not detecting wireless network

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a dual operating system (Windows 7 and Ubuntu) where Ubuntu is not detecting the wireless router. The individual is seeking a simple explanation for how to fix this issue, as they are only 13 years old. The conversation suggests checking for the network icon and installing restricted drivers (such as B4A) through an ethernet cable connection to the internet. It is also mentioned that turning off the wireless adapter in Windows 7 can cause issues with detecting it in Ubuntu.
robertroman10
I currently have a duel operating system with windows 7 and Ubuntu. The problem I am having is that my ubuntu (10.10) is not DETECTING my wireless router. How do I fix this? Please explain simply as I am 13. thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Does it see other wireless networks?

If not, does it see your wireless card?

It can't detect ANY wireless networks but how do I check to see if it detects my wireless card?

robertroman10 said:
It can't detect ANY wireless networks but how do I check to see if it detects my wireless card?

In the top right, it should have a network icon. Click it, and it should be three lines (curved) for wireless.

I think I know your problem. It's not nice.

You need the restricted drivers - which come from online.

You need to connect your computer with an ethernet cable to the internet, click System, in Administration, click Hardware Drivers (or restricted drivers) and then choose the wireless driver (should be something like B4A).

Install it, restart and you should have wireless.

Make sure your wireless adapter is turned on in Windows 7. I don't actively use Linux, so I'm pretty useless for this problem, but I've been told that turning off your wireless in Windows (in a dual booting situation) makes it impossible to turn on through Linux.

KrisOhn said:
Make sure your wireless adapter is turned on in Windows 7. I don't actively use Linux, so I'm pretty useless for this problem, but I've been told that turning off your wireless in Windows (in a dual booting situation) makes it impossible to turn on through Linux.

I used to run dual boot, but can't say I ever ran into that one.

I'm a mad Linux user now.

1. Why is my Ubuntu not detecting any wireless networks?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Some common causes include a faulty wireless adapter, outdated drivers, or a problem with your network settings. It is also possible that your wireless network is not within range or is not broadcasting its SSID.

2. How can I troubleshoot the issue of Ubuntu not detecting my wireless network?

The first step would be to check if your wireless adapter is properly connected and turned on. Next, make sure that your wireless network is within range and is broadcasting its SSID. You can also try restarting your router and updating your wireless drivers. If these steps do not work, you may need to reset your network settings or contact your internet service provider.

3. Is there a specific command or tool I can use to fix the issue?

Yes, you can use the "iwconfig" command to scan for available wireless networks and check the status of your wireless adapter. You can also use the "nmcli" command to manage your network connections and troubleshoot any issues.

4. My Ubuntu was previously able to detect my wireless network, but now it can't. What could be the problem?

This could be due to a recent update or change in your system settings. It is also possible that your wireless adapter is malfunctioning or needs to be replaced. You can try rolling back any recent updates or checking your network settings to see if anything has changed.

5. Can I manually add my wireless network to Ubuntu if it is not detected automatically?

Yes, you can manually add a wireless network by going to the Network Settings and selecting the option to "Add a Wi-Fi network". You will need to enter the SSID, security type, and password for your network. If your network is still not detected, you may need to check your router settings or consult with your internet service provider.