1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK M.Sc.

1. Jul 21, 2009 #1
    I am looking to complete a 1 year M.Sc. in the UK as a US student, how feasible is this, assuming I can come up with the funds needed? When I get there would my wife be able to work full-time while I am studying? Also, are there any US programs that offer an M.Sc. in a year instead of two.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2009 #2
    Assuming you have a Bsc in physics already 1 year is the standard time taken to complete a masters yes, however I'm unsure as to the US/UK switch in terms of level of understanding.

If you want to do a whole bsc & masters in a year, I'm not sure that's possible...

4. Jul 21, 2009 #3
    Well, I already will have my B.Sc. so I guess my question is more specific as to coming over with a US B.Sc.

5. Jul 21, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You really need to start reading visa information given by the home office for questions like this: they know a lot more than people on a forum! http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf5students#15932676 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jul 21, 2009 #5
    You are right Cristo, I found that she would indeed be able to work if I get accepted for a 12 month period. As I am thinking you are a UK national, I further inquire;

does my B.Sc. in the US provide the background needed for a UK M.Sc?

Are there any tests like the GRE for the UK?

What is the rough American analog of a 2:1 degree in the UK GPA-wise?

Does going to the UK to take a Master seem like a reasonable thing to do?

I'm not so worried about how my master's from the UK will be viewed in the US as I am more looking toward moving to the UK or Europe afterward, by either getting a Tier 1 Visa or my pending EU citizenship.

Also, if any American know about obtaining postgrad funding for foreign studies, I would appreciate any info!

Thanks as always!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook