Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UL Factory inspection

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    Any one know about UL factory inspection?
    I think they visit the factory 2-4 times a year.
    Who pays for it - does the factory take care of it.
    Is there something like a UL listed factory.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Here you go!

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/solutions/services/finder/detail/index.jsp?cpath=/global/eng/pages/solutions/services/finder/detail/data/305_factory-inspections.xml [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Apr 25, 2013 #3

berkeman

And yes, the factory pays for the inspection/certification.

5. Apr 25, 2013 #4
    berkeman, If an organization is getting UL certification for a product, they have to pay for certification.
    If the organization is getting it manufactured externally like in China, the Chinese factory pays for UL factory inspection?

6. Apr 25, 2013 #5

berkeman

Yes and yes.

Of course, the contract manufacturing factory in China will pass the cost of certification along to their customers, as they do their other operating costs. But the cost is shared among several manufacturers typically, so it really doesn't add much to the product cost that a company pays to the contract manufacturer.

7. Apr 26, 2013 #6
    berkeman, do you know if this is only for UL or do factories pay for UL equivalent factory inspection also like CSA, TUV.

8. Apr 26, 2013 #7

berkeman

I don't know that offhand, but you should be able to check the websites for CSA and TUV to see if they have an "inspections" section like the UL website does. If you're not able to figure it out, I can e-mail the question to a guy in my company over in the UK who specializes in agency approvals.

9. Apr 28, 2013 #8
    All the agencies (CSA, TUV etc) have mandatory factory inspections. But I am not sure if the factory pays for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook