Will You Celebrate the Ultimate Pi Moment Tomorrow?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment Pi
In summary, the conversation revolves around the celebration of Pi Day on 3.14.15 at 9:26:53. Participants discuss the significance of this date and the next possible Pi Day in the future. They also consider the accuracy of the Pi moment and whether it can truly be achieved in our universe. Some propose alternative ways to celebrate Pi, such as celebrating e-day or using different date formats.
On 3.14.15 at 9:26:53

Set your alarms!

Likes Silicon Waffle, jtbell, Evo and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg, you are very strange :smile:

We don't get a pi day in the UK :frown:

sk1105 said:
We don't get a pi day in the UK :frown:
Start a movement! I'm calling for it to be a national holiday!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Start a movement! I'm calling for it to be a national holiday!

But there's no April 31. :\ Best you can do is 22/7.

Likes nuuskur, JorisL and Fredrik
Greg Bernhardt said:
On 3.14.15 at 9:26:53

Set your alarms!
Awesome!

Already set! With AM and PM there is twice the chance!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Since the next digit after the 5 is a 9 won't the proper approximation be 3.1416? So won't the ultimate Pi moment come in 2016? I guess we could celebrate both years, why not :-p

You know what you have to eat to celebrate, don't you. It better be a round one...

I'm also in the UK. :(

And people around here, guess what is the speciality about next day after this day celebration?

Actually if you consider milliseconds etc between the 53 and 54th second there will be an instantaneous moment in time tomorrow at which we exactly equal pi. Instant pi? No thanks, give me a slice.

I really have a headache trying to think what is going on with a PI day via what people discus here,

I'm not flying out of here any time soon. So I will try again and again. Have a nice weekend everyone!

3/14/15 was 2000 years ago.

Likes Pythagorean and nuuskur
we should celebrate tau day instead

Next PI Day is,
(20)31 April 15

Your holiday lasts exactly one second :< And now you have to wait another 100 years for another chance :/

Poor e.

We can celebrate e-day in July (2.7.) and January (27.1.), using the correct date format.
2.7.18 is in three years.

Ben Niehoff said:
But there's no April 31. :\ Best you can do is 22/7.
According to one website, as April 31 is purely imaginary, it is [itex]i[/itex]-day!

Likes sk1105
You celebrate it at midnight between April 30 and May 1 (a public holiday in many countries!)?

DrGreg said:
According to one website, as April 31 is purely imaginary, it is [itex]i[/itex]-day!
And since [itex]e^{i\pi}=-1[/itex]we can celebrate on the day before! April 30th it is!

Last edited:
[itex]e^{i\pi} = -1[/itex] you mean :)

nuuskur said:
[itex]e^{i\pi} = -1[/itex] you mean :)
That's what I wrote.

<Wanders off, whistling innocently>

:oops:

Likes nuuskur
mfb said:
We can celebrate e-day in July (2.7.) and January (27.1.), using the correct date format.
2.7.18 is in three years.

I think e deserves it.

Many numbers do stand on its shoulder.

Likes DrGreg
We hear of yesterday being the ultimate Pi moment but as someone noted above 3/14/15 was 2000 years ago. I would submit that the ultimate Pi moment occurred on:

March 14, 1592 with Pi moments at 6:53:58.xxx... AM and PM.

Note: this is using a standard 12 hour digital watch display format ( _h:mm:ss.xxx...) allowing 1 digit hours from 0 to 9 and two digit for 10 to 12, but insisting on two digit minutes and seconds. With decimal fraction on the seconds, you can take .xxx..., the actual moment out to an accuracy approaching a jiffy if so desired (Planck time of about 5.4 × 10−44 Seconds).

Another somewhat ultimate Pi day will be:

March 14, 15926 with Pi minutes at 5:35 AM and PM. The format using dual digit seconds would exceeds 59, ergo the smallest interval is minutes.

The next year that we can attain the same accuracy level of accuracy (seconds) as 1592 and thus a moment is:

March 14, 159,265,389,793 2:38:46 AM & PM. Quite a bit into the future.

We really missed the boat by not being around in 1592. Note I didn't try any BCE dates.

Now a question for the much smarter than I. Is mathematics a pure science or is it corrupted by our 4 dimensional space-time (if not our human brains)? The essence being here, because Pi is a never ending decimal, will the Pi moment be an infinite string of numbers or will it end at some increment slightly before the jiffy. My understanding (quite limited) is that the jiffy is the shortest time interval in our universe, any thing shorter you are in the quantum foam. I suppose we could have an infinitely short theoretical Pi moment and and a discrete actual physical Pi moment. The philosophical quandary here being, can we actually have a Pi moment or are we limited to something that approaches a Pi moment. 10^-44 is quite a long moment compared to an infinite negative exponent. I doubt I will lose any sleep pondering this tonight.

this was a pretty good pi moment. not my pic or else I'd put it in the pi day photo thread. & it would probably win :-p

15.jpg

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-best-pi-day-pies-and-celebrations/

Sextant said:
We hear of yesterday being the ultimate Pi moment but as someone noted above 3/14/15 was 2000 years ago. I would submit that the ultimate Pi moment occurred on:

March 14, 1592 with Pi moments at 6:53:58.xxx... AM and PM.

Note: this is using a standard 12 hour digital watch display format ( _h:mm:ss.xxx...) allowing 1 digit hours from 0 to 9 and two digit for 10 to 12, but insisting on two digit minutes and seconds. With decimal fraction on the seconds, you can take .xxx..., the actual moment out to an accuracy approaching a jiffy if so desired (Planck time of about 5.4 × 10−44 Seconds).

Another somewhat ultimate Pi day will be:

March 14, 15926 with Pi minutes at 5:35 AM and PM. The format using dual digit seconds would exceeds 59, ergo the smallest interval is minutes.

The next year that we can attain the same accuracy level of accuracy (seconds) as 1592 and thus a moment is:

March 14, 159,265,389,793 2:38:46 AM & PM. Quite a bit into the future.

We really missed the boat by not being around in 1592. Note I didn't try any BCE dates.

Now a question for the much smarter than I. Is mathematics a pure science or is it corrupted by our 4 dimensional space-time (if not our human brains)? The essence being here, because Pi is a never ending decimal, will the Pi moment be an infinite string of numbers or will it end at some increment slightly before the jiffy. My understanding (quite limited) is that the jiffy is the shortest time interval in our universe, any thing shorter you are in the quantum foam. I suppose we could have an infinitely short theoretical Pi moment and and a discrete actual physical Pi moment. The philosophical quandary here being, can we actually have a Pi moment or are we limited to something that approaches a Pi moment. 10^-44 is quite a long moment compared to an infinite negative exponent. I doubt I will lose any sleep pondering this tonight.

EDIT 3/20/15, ERROR CORRECTION:
On the last date in the above post, at 159 billion years in the future, incredibly I somehow missed a digit in the original post. How exactly I did that when I copied an pasted the number is beyond me. I must of inadvertently deleted a digit when I put the commas in. In any event the date has been corrected below in bold. It was only 1.433 trillion year error. March 14, 1,592,653,589,793 2:38:46.xxx...

Sextant said:

EDIT 3/20/15, ERROR CORRECTION:
On the last date in the above post, at 159 billion years in the future, incredibly I somehow missed a digit in the original post. How exactly I did that when I copied an pasted the number is beyond me. I must of inadvertently deleted a digit when I put the commas in. In any event the date has been corrected below in bold. It was only 1.433 trillion year error. March 14, 1,592,653,589,793 2:38:46.xxx...
Let's hope the strange month/day/year format has been abandoned then.
In the highly unlikely case that there will still be something using our current date format at all.

What is the significance of "Ultimate pi moment tomorrow morning"?

The term "Ultimate pi moment" refers to a specific time and date when the numerical value of pi (3.14) aligns with the date and time. This phenomenon occurs only once every century, making it a rare and special occurrence.

When is the next "Ultimate pi moment"?

The next "Ultimate pi moment" will occur on March 14, 2115 at 9:26:53 AM. This date and time align with the numerical value of pi (3.141592653) and is considered the "Ultimate pi moment" for the 21st century.

Why is the "Ultimate pi moment" significant to scientists?

The "Ultimate pi moment" is significant to scientists because it demonstrates the beauty and complexity of mathematics and its connection to the natural world. It also serves as a reminder of the importance of pi in many scientific and mathematical equations and calculations.

How is the "Ultimate pi moment" calculated?

The "Ultimate pi moment" is calculated by using the numerical value of pi (3.14) and converting it into a date and time format. This is done by taking the first five digits after the decimal point (03/14) to represent the month and day, and the remaining digits (15:9:26) to represent the year, hour, minute, and second.

Can the "Ultimate pi moment" be predicted in advance?

Yes, the "Ultimate pi moment" can be predicted in advance using mathematical calculations and algorithms. However, the occurrence of this phenomenon is dependent on the accuracy of pi and the Gregorian calendar, so there may be slight variations in the exact date and time predicted.