Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultracompact Cars

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1
    So I'm looking into buying a brand new, ultra-compact car. Currently, I'm fixated on the Toyota Yaris, which starts at about $11k. Gets about 33/40 city/highway.

I was wondering if there are any other fellow scientists out there driving one of these gas efficient, yet tiny, cars.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2
    Nope. :rofl:

4. Jun 8, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds interesting - I might look into it. I didn't know they were so cheap.

5. Jun 8, 2006 #4
    Im saving up for this suv:

[​IMG]

Makes a hummer look like a honda civic.

6. Jun 8, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the look of it, but after this past winter, I know I can't consider anything without all-wheel or 4-wheel drive. I had a devil of a time on snow-covered, winding mountain roads around here. Now I know why every other person around here drives a Subaru or SUV.

7. Jun 8, 2006 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Why settle for that when you can have a real man's truck? (the one on the right):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  8. Jun 9, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

That's not an SUV. This is an SUV. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

Okay... I admit defeat. :redface:
    But I probably get better mileage. :tongue:

9. Jun 9, 2006 #8

rcgldr

Homework Helper

10. Jun 9, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

There's something running around town here that's about the size of a skateboard with a body on it. From what I saw, I don't think that there's even room for a passenger. I'll see if I can find it on the net... tomorrow.

11. Jun 9, 2006 #10

That was just Jason on his scooter passing by you. :rofl:

12. Jun 9, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Someone from Hogtown passing me?! I don't think so. :grumpy:

13. Jun 9, 2006 #12

rcgldr

Homework Helper

There's the old Honda 600 coupe:

http://www.honda600coupe.com

and smaller still the 250 Isetta:

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/bmwisetta250.html

If you ocasionally need to cross water, the amphicar:

http://www.amphicar.com

The Nash Metropolitan

http://webpages.charter.net/nashmetropolitan

and how could I forget a car I once owned (it has a new home near San Francisco), a Caterham SV, less than 1300lbs, although this one was souped up a bit beyond what you'd want for a good gas milage car:

caterham.htm

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  14. Jun 9, 2006 #13
    Do you mean this?

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/7560/The_Carver.html

One of the coolest things I've ever seen!

15. Jun 9, 2006 #14
    Get a VolksWagen Polo or the smaller Fox... They are ecconomical, not too expensive and will last forever, the engines in VW cars are very good, german engineering at its best..

16. Jun 9, 2006 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear, you should try a supermini. My Fiesta with skinny tyres and the engine directly over the driving wheels was almost as good in the Peak District snow than our Mitsubishi Shogun.

Guillochon, I drive a Saxo (same size as a Yaris), get about 45 mpg on the motorway and 38 combined. It's the 1.6 too so it's pretty quick. As long as you're not doing too many motorway miles a supermini will last forever and not cost much when things need replacing.

I wouldn't call a Yaris an ultra-compact car, it's just a normal supermini sized hatchback. If you want small, look at a Toyota Aygo (smaller than a Yaris), a 1007, or even a Smart or Twingo.

17. Jun 9, 2006 #16
    Before I bought my Honda Civic Hybrid, I test drove the Yaris. It was poorly sprung and responded too abruptly to my driving.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  18. Jun 9, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I don't mean that, but Holy **** is that ever neat! An articulated tryke... hmmm.... :cool: If I can figure out just how that suspension system works, it shouldn't be too hard to build one. Throw a nice wee Porsche driveline in... hmmm...... :biggrin:

Jeff, thanks for screwing up my morning. :grumpy: I spent so long truckin' around that museum that I don't have time for breakfast now. :biggrin:

The thing that I saw was about the size of that Isetta, but looked brand new (design-wise), and had 4 wheels.

19. Jun 9, 2006 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A four door Smart car??!! :surprised Nooooo!!!!! The two door versions popular in Italy are strangely appealing. The affect is lost with the four door.

Plus, this version of the BMW Isetta is the best. What a way to cut down on speeding! Getting pulled over by one of these in the city and having to sit on the side of road where everyone can see you would be such a humiliating experience that a person would never exceed the speed limit again!

The Nash, however, was actually a good car, especially for a single college student who didn't need much passenger or luggage space.

20. Jun 9, 2006 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And if you thought a microcar could never appeal to the macho market, check this out:

The 1955 BMW Isetta Jagdwagen (hunting car)

[​IMG]

21. Jun 9, 2006 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have always preferred small cars, but yesterday there was an accident near my house involving an SUV and a small car. Impossible to tell what kind of car it was, it was crushed like a pancake. They had to cut the car open to remove the bodies, the SUV was damaged, but the people were ok. I can't figure out how it happened, it was on two lanes of open highway going in the same direction, both cars were smashed against the cliff on the side of the highway. It was the worst damage I remember seeing. Reminded me of how unsafe small cars are. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?