Toyota Yaris: Ultra-Compact Car for Scientists

• Thread starter Quaoar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary: It was moving along really smoothly, and I could tell that it had good acceleration. I'm not sure if I'd want to ride in it, though.There's something running around town here that's about the size of a skateboard with a body on it. From what I saw, I don't think that there's even room for a passenger. I'll see if I can find it on the net... tomorrow.That was just Jason on his scooter passing by you.Someone from Hogtown passing me?!I don't think so.The Amphicar is a cool looking car, but I'm not sure if I'd want to ride in it. VolksWagen
Quaoar
So I'm looking into buying a brand new, ultra-compact car. Currently, I'm fixated on the Toyota Yaris, which starts at about $11k. Gets about 33/40 city/highway.

I was wondering if there are any other fellow scientists out there driving one of these gas efficient, yet tiny, cars.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. :rofl:

Guillochon said:
So I'm looking into buying a brand new, ultra-compact car. Currently, I'm fixated on the Toyota Yaris, which starts at about $11k. Gets about 33/40 city/highway.

I was wondering if there are any other fellow scientists out there driving one of these gas efficient, yet tiny, cars.
Sounds interesting - I might look into it. I didn't know they were so cheap.

Im saving up for this suv:

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/3765/suvcool.jpg

Makes a hummer look like a honda civic.

I like the look of it, but after this past winter, I know I can't consider anything without all-wheel or 4-wheel drive. I had a devil of a time on snow-covered, winding mountain roads around here. Now I know why every other person around here drives a Subaru or SUV.

cyrusabdollahi said:
http://img64.exs.cx/img64/3765/suvcool.jpg
Makes a hummer look like a honda civic.
Why settle for that when you can have a real man's truck? (the one on the right):

coaltrk1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
That's not an SUV. This is an SUV. :biggrin:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1336/danpics0330mz.jpg

Jeff Reid said:
[PLAIN]http://jeffareid.net/misc/coaltrk1.jpg[/QUOTE][/URL]
Okay... I admit defeat. :redface:
But I probably get better mileage. :tongue:

There's something running around town here that's about the size of a skateboard with a body on it. From what I saw, I don't think that there's even room for a passenger. I'll see if I can find it on the net... tomorrow.

Danger said:
There's something running around town here that's about the size of a skateboard with a body on it. From what I saw, I don't think that there's even room for a passenger. I'll see if I can find it on the net... tomorrow.

That was just Jason on his scooter passing by you. :rofl:

Someone from Hogtown passing me?! I don't think so. :grumpy:

There's the old Honda 600 coupe:

http://www.honda600coupe.com

and smaller still the 250 Isetta:

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/bmwisetta250.html

If you ocasionally need to cross water, the amphicar:

http://www.amphicar.com

The Nash Metropolitan

http://webpages.charter.net/nashmetropolitan

and how could I forget a car I once owned (it has a new home near San Francisco), a Caterham SV, less than 1300lbs, although this one was souped up a bit beyond what you'd want for a good gas milage car:

caterham.htm

Last edited:
Danger said:

Do you mean this?

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/7560/The_Carver.html

One of the coolest things I've ever seen!

Get a VolksWagen Polo or the smallerhttp://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/fox They are ecconomical, not too expensive and will last forever, the engines in VW cars are very good, german engineering at its best..

Moonbear, you should try a supermini. My Fiesta with skinny tyres and the engine directly over the driving wheels was almost as good in the Peak District snow than our Mitsubishi Shogun.

Guillochon, I drive a Saxo (same size as a Yaris), get about 45 mpg on the motorway and 38 combined. It's the 1.6 too so it's pretty quick. As long as you're not doing too many motorway miles a supermini will last forever and not cost much when things need replacing.

I wouldn't call a Yaris an ultra-compact car, it's just a normal supermini sized hatchback. If you want small, look at a Toyota Aygo (smaller than a Yaris), a 1007, or even a Smart or Twingo.

Guillochon said:
Currently, I'm fixated on the Toyota Yaris
Before I bought my Honda Civic Hybrid, I test drove the Yaris. It was poorly sprung and responded too abruptly to my driving.

Last edited:
big man said:
Do you mean this?
I don't mean that, but Holy **** is that ever neat! An articulated tryke... hmmm... :cool: If I can figure out just how that suspension system works, it shouldn't be too hard to build one. Throw a nice wee Porsche driveline in... hmmm... :biggrin:

Jeff, thanks for screwing up my morning. :grumpy: I spent so long truckin' around that museum that I don't have time for breakfast now. :biggrin:

The thing that I saw was about the size of that Isetta, but looked brand new (design-wise), and had 4 wheels.

Jeff Reid said:
What about the smart car (although I'd feel safer on my motorcycle)?

http://www.smart.com

and smaller still the 250 Isetta:

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/bmwisetta250.html
A four door Smart car??! Nooooo! The two door versions popular in Italy are strangely appealing. The affect is lost with the four door.

Plus, this version of the BMW Isetta is the best. What a way to cut down on speeding! Getting pulled over by one of these in the city and having to sit on the side of road where everyone can see you would be such a humiliating experience that a person would never exceed the speed limit again!

The Nash, however, was actually a good car, especially for a single college student who didn't need much passenger or luggage space.

And if you thought a microcar could never appeal to the macho market, check this out:

The 1955 BMW Isetta Jagdwagen (hunting car)

isetta-jagdwagen00.jpg

I have always preferred small cars, but yesterday there was an accident near my house involving an SUV and a small car. Impossible to tell what kind of car it was, it was crushed like a pancake. They had to cut the car open to remove the bodies, the SUV was damaged, but the people were ok. I can't figure out how it happened, it was on two lanes of open highway going in the same direction, both cars were smashed against the cliff on the side of the highway. It was the worst damage I remember seeing. Reminded me of how unsafe small cars are. :frown:

Evo said:
Reminded me of how unsafe small cars are. :frown:
Reminds me of how unsafe SUVs are! Not for the person in them, but for the people they run over when they aren't paying attention to the road.

Moonbear said:
Reminds me of how unsafe SUVs are! Not for the person in them, but for the people they run over when they aren't paying attention to the road.
It's impossible to say which car hit the other. The SUV defintely survived the crash into the cliff better. I "like" small cars, but they don't survive wrecks well.

Evo said:
I have always preferred small cars, but yesterday there was an accident near my house involving an SUV and a small car. Impossible to tell what kind of car it was, it was crushed like a pancake. They had to cut the car open to remove the bodies, the SUV was damaged, but the people were ok. I can't figure out how it happened, it was on two lanes of open highway going in the same direction, both cars were smashed against the cliff on the side of the highway. It was the worst damage I remember seeing. Reminded me of how unsafe small cars are. :frown:

Ahh, the age-old argument of "surround yourself with 2 tonnes of metal, and sod anyone else". Really bugs me this; the little car wouldn't have been nearly so badly damaged if it hadn't been run into by an SUV.

The chances are that the SUV had far more soundproofing, and a more subdued ride, along with a vast number of electronic safety systems; all of which lulled the driver into a sleepy sense of security, and made them less aware of their surroundings. Probably being driven by a rich man's wife driving their kids the half mile, fully-tarmaced journey to private school.

brewnog said:
Ahh, the age-old argument of "surround yourself with 2 tonnes of metal, and sod anyone else". Really bugs me this; the little car wouldn't have been nearly so badly damaged if it hadn't been run into by an SUV.

The chances are that the SUV had far more soundproofing, and a more subdued ride, along with a vast number of electronic safety systems; all of which lulled the driver into a sleepy sense of security, and made them less aware of their surroundings. Probably being driven by a rich man's wife driving their kids the half mile, fully-tarmaced journey to private school.
The driver in the small car was a teenager, it was a new expensive sporty looking car, from what remained of it. Some millionaire's kid speeding, stereo blasting and not paying attention rams into the SUV, flips over and flies into the cliff, crushing the car.

You can't deny that you are not as safe in a smaller car. I drive small cars.

Evo said:
The driver in the small car was a teenager, it was a new expensive sporty looking car, from what remained of it. Some millionaire's kid speeding, stereo blasting and not paying attention rams into the SUV, flips over and flies into the cliff, crushing the car.

You can't deny that you are not as safe in a smaller car. I drive small cars.

Yeahhh, a response! Can't beat a good old Friday argument!

You're more likely to be a safer driver in a smaller car; ie less of a danger to other road users.

By the way, Evo, I thought you drove a Focus?

brewnog said:
By the way, Evo, I thought you drove a Focus?
HELL NO. :grumpy:

Actually, playing the scene back in my mind, it was right before the highway exit. The SUV was next to the cliff facing north, (this was the southbound lane). The smaller car was farther down. From the damage to the SUV, it would appear it was rear ended, spun around and skidded off the road and into the cliff. The SUV was probably slowing down to exit and the kid wasn't paying attention. I've been trying to reach the Evo child because it looked like one of her friend's cars. Since it was near the house, it could very possibly be one of her friends.

Impossible to tell what kind of car it was, yet it looked like one of Spawn's mates cars?! :tongue:

I'm currently looking for a bigger car, far too many sleepy tailgaiting idiots in 3 Serieses on the M6 every morning, keeping my eye out for a Golf.

brewnog said:
Impossible to tell what kind of car it was, yet it looked like one of Spawn's mates cars?! :tongue:
Yes. :grumpy: It was maroon, and I can't say for sure the make, but what was left reminds me of her friend Steph's car. And why can't I reach the Evo child? :frown: She didn't call last night and she's not answering her cell phone. :cry:

She drives like a bat out of hell and tailgates, I keep yelling at her when she drives to 'slow down, back off". She said her friends are much worse drivers, so I should be happy. :bugeye:

I'd put the Evo child in a Sherman tank if I could.

Last edited:
Sure it's fine old bean. If you want to take your mind off it get thysen on Autotrader and find me some new safer wheels!

Well, I live in the United States, and I think most of the models mentioned in this thread aren't sold here...

I can't go *too* small, I really fear for my life beyond a certain lower limit. Something around the Yaris' size is about as small as I'd like to go...

One thing that irks me is that the gas mileage on the Yaris and similar cars like the Fit is not THAT great, considering how tiny the car is. The Corolla and the Civic get mid 30s gas mileage on the freeway, and they are substantially larger.

Last edited:
ok that was funny in a unfunny way... lmao, Thats actually my car, but not that colour... And they are safe, VW's have 'german engineering, init' ;)

For the USA, another option is the Saturn. Most of these are near mid-sized cars, cheap and place high in the safety ratings (cars crashing into solid barrier tests). I don't know what transportation costs and tariffs do to the price of a Saturn in foreign countries.

http://www.saturn.com

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I like the look of it, but after this past winter, I know I can't consider anything without all-wheel or 4-wheel drive. I had a devil of a time on snow-covered, winding mountain roads around here. Now I know why every other person around here drives a Subaru or SUV.

I have a Toyota RAV4. I have had it ten years and it is still going strong! It is 4WD and had no problems tackling the 12 inches of snow on the WV Hills where my mom lives.
The best thing about it is you can remove the back seats and two mountain bikes fit easily.

1. What makes the Toyota Yaris a good car for scientists?

The Toyota Yaris is a great car for scientists because it is ultra-compact, making it easy to navigate through busy city streets and fit into tight parking spaces. It also has excellent fuel efficiency, which is important for scientists who may need to travel long distances for research or conferences. Additionally, the Yaris has a sleek and modern design, making it a stylish choice for professionals.

2. Is the Toyota Yaris environmentally friendly?

Yes, the Toyota Yaris is known for its eco-friendliness. It has low CO2 emissions and high fuel efficiency, making it a great choice for environmentally conscious scientists. The Yaris also has a hybrid option for even greater sustainability.

3. What safety features does the Toyota Yaris offer?

The Toyota Yaris comes equipped with a variety of safety features, such as a pre-collision system, lane departure alert, and automatic high beams. It also has multiple airbags and a rearview camera for added safety while driving.

4. Can the Toyota Yaris accommodate scientific equipment?

Despite its compact size, the Toyota Yaris has a surprisingly spacious interior. The back seats can be folded down to create more storage space, making it possible to transport scientific equipment and materials.

5. Is the Toyota Yaris a reliable car?

Yes, the Toyota Yaris is known for its reliability and durability. It is backed by Toyota's reputation for producing high-quality and long-lasting vehicles, making it a dependable choice for scientists who need a reliable mode of transportation.