No Tolerance for Use of "Noob" on PF

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Helios
  • Start date
In summary, "noob" is a word that is used to describe a newcomer to a field or activity. It is not derogatory, but could be insulting if used by a new member. Language and attitude rules on Physics Forums prohibit foul or hostile language, and discourages the use of words that end with "B" that are seen as derogatory.
Helios
When it occurs, any fellow should be advised not to refer to new members as "noobs" or "noobies" because of the offense that could be taken. Noob is ( or seems like ) a portmanteau of "new boob" and is derogatory and insulting enough to make a new member feel he is being attacked or demeaned. I don't think PF should tolerate this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a joke? Noob is an alternate spelling of newb, as in, a new person. It's not exactly a compliment, but I'd hardly consider it derogatory.

Likes Merlin3189, Thewindyfan and nsaspook
In the year or so I've been following this site I have never seen anyone referred to as a "noob".

Likes Thewindyfan, Hornbein and axmls
It is slang and it sounds demeaning. I would be offended.

Helios said:
Fair enough. Link to a thread where that term is used.

Haha, if you search "noob" a lot of the results are self-referential.

I'd have to pull out my calculator to determine how far of a stretch you need to make to interpret phinds's comment as offensive.

Likes Thewindyfan, russ_watters, nsaspook and 1 other person
Helios said:
When it occurs, any fellow should be advised not to refer to new members as "noobs" or "noobies" because of the offense that could be taken. Noob is ( or seems like ) a portmanteau of "new boob" and is derogatory and insulting enough to make a new member feel he is being attacked or demeaned. I don't think PF should tolerate this.
You are mistaken. As already mentioned, "noob" (or "newb") is just short for "newbie." It is NOT a portmanteau word made up of "new" and "boob."

I don't have an exact count, but I'd be willing to bet that 98% of the usage on this site is new members describing themselves.

We already have a rule about hostile language that is vigorously enforced. I see no reason for us to outlaw the use of "noob" just on its own.
Langauge and Attitude:
Foul or hostile language will not be tolerated on Physics Forums. This includes profanity, obscenity, or obvious indecent language; direct personal attacks or insults; snide remarks or phrases that appear to be an attempt to "put down" another member; and other indirect attacks on a member's character or motives.

Please treat all members with respect, even if you do not agree with them. If you feel that you have been attacked, and the moderators or mentors have not yet gotten around to doing something about it, please report it using the "Report" button. If you choose to post a response, address only the substantive content, constructively, and ignore any personal remarks.

Likes Merlin3189 and Silicon Waffle
Helios said:

well a high % if the time it is the actual OP that is referring to themselves as a noob and NOT the responders
and I would bet that the majority of the times that the responder has said such, it's only because the OP as already referred himself to that anyway

Dave

OK. I stand corrected. Let's rest the issue. People call themselves "nerds" but it's not cool to call others that. Slang that ends with "B" is usually not good. I'm old and not privy to the new generation lingo.

Helios said:
Slang that ends with "B" is usually not good.

This sounds remarkably arbitrary.

Helios said:
In fact, you used it, Phinds
I most certainly did NOT. Pay attention to what is said. I said "noobie", which is just short for newcomer and could hardly be misconstrued to have any connotation of "boob". Every forum I've ever been on used the term for newcomer, that and "newbie"

Helios said:
OK. I stand corrected. Let's rest the issue. People call themselves "nerds" but it's not cool to call others that.
I had a girlfriend who referred to me as "my nerd". I even had a t-shirt. Past high school, it ceases to be an insult because you start to realize that even as an intended insult it is really an expression of envy.

Likes OCR and Silicon Waffle
Why don't we use "boon" instead?

Krylov said:
Why don't we use "boon" instead?
Is this another joke? If so, I don't get it. If you're serious, then my response is ... uh, because it doesn't mean anything and no one would have any idea what is intended?

I reserve the right to call phinds a "new boob" whenever I want to! Those silicon implants look very good!

Zz.

Likes Stephanus and StevieTNZ
ZapperZ said:
I reserve the right to call phinds a "new boob" whenever I want to! Those silicon implants look very good!

Zz.
?

Hum... did my attempt at humor completely fall flat?

Zz.

Likes Stephanus, OCR and russ_watters
phinds said:
Is this another joke? If so, I don't get it. If you're serious, then my response is ... uh, because it doesn't mean anything and no one would have any idea what is intended?
It's the reverse of "noob", see http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/boon

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
Hum... did my attempt at humor completely fall flat?

Zz.
Well, it went straight past me. I have no idea what you were talking about. What am I missing? I mean, I understand a correlation between silicon implants and the word boob for sure, but I don't get how it has the slightest reference to me.

Likes Stephanus
Krylov said:
It's the reverse of "noob", see http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/boon
Yes, I could see that in the first place. So, it was an attempt at humor. It fell flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helios said:
Let's rest the issue.
Done. :smile:

1. What does "No Tolerance for Use of "Noob" on PF" mean?

"No Tolerance for Use of "Noob" on PF" means that the community on PF (a platform or forum) does not allow or tolerate the use of the word "noob" to describe or insult other users.

2. Why is there a no tolerance policy for using "noob" on PF?

The use of the term "noob" can be seen as derogatory or dismissive towards new or inexperienced users. It can create a negative and unwelcoming atmosphere on the platform, which goes against the goal of promoting a positive and helpful community.

3. Is there any context in which using "noob" is allowed on PF?

No, there is no context in which using "noob" is allowed on PF. The community has agreed to not use this term at all, regardless of the situation or context.

4. What happens if someone uses "noob" on PF?

If someone uses "noob" on PF, they may receive a warning from a moderator or may have their post removed. Repeated offenses may result in a temporary or permanent ban from the platform.

5. How can I report someone for using "noob" on PF?

If you see someone using "noob" on PF, you can report their post or comment to a moderator. Most platforms have a feature to report inappropriate content or behavior, which can be used to report the use of "noob".