Unattractive kids less liked by parents, study shows

In summary, a researcher at the University of Alberta has found through an observational study that parents tend to give more attention and better care to attractive children compared to unattractive ones. This behavior is believed to be a result of a parent's natural instinct to protect and nurture their best genetic material. While attractiveness can be subjective to a certain degree, there are known correlations between physical features and public opinion on attractiveness. However, more research is needed to fully understand the complex nature of attractiveness and its impact on parenting behavior.
zoobyshoe said:
Eat squash through a picket fence?

That's a new one to me too. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
And how many people would be able to eat squash through a picket fence without having spent years with braces on their teeth?
I can't figure out what this is implying... is it some old time pre-1960's slang, or is it something sexual?

ShawnD said:
I can't figure out what this is implying... is it some old time pre-1960's slang, or is it something sexual?
It means their teeth stick straight out and this enables them to chew things inbetween the narrow fence posts. :biggrin:

I think I first heard this joke from Jeff Foxworthy. "You know you're a redneck when..."

It's confusing because the sentence seems to imply that braces make your teeth stick out.

Huckleberry said:
It means their teeth stick straight out and this enables them to chew things inbetween the narrow fence posts. :biggrin:

I think I first heard this joke from Jeff Foxworthy. "You know you're a redneck when..."
Little Betty Jo Bobbie Sue was so bucktoothed she could eat squash through a picket fence. Of course in this case "squash" would be pronounced "squarsh". :tongue2:

ShawnD said:
It's confusing because the sentence seems to imply that braces make your teeth stick out.
Oh, sorry, that could be read wrong. Ok, rephrased "And how many people would be able to eat squash through a picket fence if they hadn't spent years with braces on their teeth?

Make more sense now? Maybe?

Last edited:
I was so ugly as a kid that when I was born, the doctor took one look at me and slapped my mother.

Ivan Seeking said:
I was so ugly as a kid that when I was born, the doctor took one look at me and slapped my mother.
should've slapped your father. (they're his genes too) :tongue2:

Evo,

Ugly parents with good-looking kids ain't exactly uncommon. Though, good-looking parents with ugly kids, is rare from what I've seen. Good-looking people produce good-looking offspring. Though there are ugly duckling cases. In which a person was an unattractive kid, and teenager, but grew up to be a very attractive adult.

report said:
The researchers independently graded each child on a scale of one to 10 on attractiveness.

I can't believe that this report sparked a discussion on whether attractiveness is subjective. It seems not to have sparked such discussion among the researchers. Apparently they never took it upon themselves to ask the parents what they thought of the kids.