Unbalanced three-phase w. neutral. Finding currents

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the currents in three phases and the neutral using Kirchoff's law and complex notation. The speaker has simulated the problem and found the correct results for I_rms, but is struggling with calculating it. They have also drawn a schematic and are trying to apply KCL and KVL to solve the problem. The conversation also mentions using vectors and masks, and rearranging the schematic to make it easier to solve. Ultimately, the speaker is seeking guidance on how to use KCL and KVL to solve the problem with respect to N.
EVriderDK

Homework Statement

I have to find the currents in the three phases and the neutral.

I understand that it has got something to do with Kirchoffs law, but how on earth?

I can simulate it in multisim, and i get the right results for I_rms but i cannot figure out how to calculate.

N->L = 220V
L->L = 380V

Homework Equations

Here is the layout.

sRcXI.jpg

I found the I_L3 just by using I=U/R. I found it to be 2.5A

Physics news on Phys.org
What are V1-1, V1-2 and V1-3 in complex notation? The rest is just cranking thru the KVL or KCL equations, whatever lights your bulb ... :-)

I found out how to do it with vectors.

But i also want to learn how to do it with masks.
I have drawn a new one here:

http://www.studieportalen.dk/Forums/ShowFile.aspx?id=1225631

Is that better?

What do you mean by using KCL and KVL? I know it is Kichhoff current and voltage laws, but do I just have to do all the masks with respect to N?

A slightly rearranged schematic may make things more obvious:

attachment.php?attachmentid=50152&stc=1&d=1345819744.gif

You should be able to apply either mesh or node equations. Note that it might be worthwhile to recognize that you have the potentials at each end of the load resistors by inspection...

Va, Vb, Vc are the three-phase line voltages. Write them in complex form and then it's just plug 'n chug.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 601

Hello, I understand your confusion about how to calculate the currents in an unbalanced three-phase system. Kirchoff's law does apply here, specifically Kirchoff's current law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node (or junction) must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. In this case, the node would be the neutral point.

To calculate the currents in each phase, you can use the formula I=U/R, where I is the current, U is the voltage and R is the resistance. However, in a three-phase system, the resistance will vary depending on the phase angle and power factor. So, it is not as simple as just dividing the voltage by the resistance.

To accurately calculate the currents in each phase, you will need to use complex phasor analysis. This involves using complex numbers and vector diagrams to represent the phase angles and power factor. I recommend seeking guidance from a textbook or online resources on how to perform these calculations. Alternatively, you can use simulation software like Multisim to get the correct results.

I hope this helps clarify the process for you. Keep in mind that working with unbalanced three-phase systems can be complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

What is an unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system?

An unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system is an electrical power distribution system that consists of three phases and a neutral wire. The three phases carry equal amounts of current, but the neutral wire carries the difference between the three phase currents, making it unbalanced.

What causes an unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system?

An unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system can be caused by a variety of factors such as unequal loads on the three phases, unequal impedances in the circuit, or faulty connections. These imbalances can result in unequal currents flowing through each phase and the neutral wire.

How do you find the currents in an unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system?

The currents in an unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system can be found by using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). KCL states that the sum of the currents entering and leaving a node must be equal to zero. By applying this law to each phase and the neutral wire, the currents can be calculated.

What are the consequences of an unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system?

An unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system can result in overloaded and overheated neutral wires, which can lead to equipment damage and potential safety hazards. It can also cause voltage fluctuations and power quality issues, which can affect the performance of electrical devices.

How can an unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system be corrected?

An unbalanced three-phase w. neutral system can be corrected by redistributing the loads on each phase to achieve a more balanced distribution of current. Additionally, faulty connections or unequal impedances should be identified and repaired. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help prevent imbalances.