Answering a Question on Three Impedances & Neutral Wire Current

In summary, Millman theorem can be used to calculate the currents in a three phase system with a neutral connected if all the impedances and voltages are known.
nothing909
I just want to know if my method is correct in answer a question like this...

Three impedances z1=(2-j5), z2=(3+j4) and z3=(8+j0) are connected in delta to a 3 phase, 400v 50Hz supply.

1. Find the three line currents Ia, Ib and Ic
2. Find the S,P and Q and power factor for the load
3. If the nodes are now connected in star with a neutral connected, find the current in the neutral wire.

I'm on question 3 and I just want to know if this is the correct method to work it out:

1. Work out Yan, Ybn and Ycn.
2. Work out Vn'n using the equation Vn'n=(VanYan)(VbnYbn)(VcnYcn)/Yan+Ybn+Ycn
3. Work out the new phase voltages by doing Van'=Van-Vn'n , Vbn'=Vbn-Vn'n , Vcn'=Vcn-Vn'n
4. Work out the new phase currents by doing Ian'=Van'/Zan' , Ibn'=Vbn'/Zbn' , Icn'=Vcn'/Zcn'
5. Add all the new phase currents up and that'll give me the current in the neutral?

Is that the correct method to work it out? Have I did a step wrong or missed anything out?

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks way to complicated. You get three complex amplitudes for current, you can add them (don't forget the phase shift between the three lines), that gives the total current and its phase.

Likes Babadag
I agree with mfb: it is a hard work with complex numbers. In my opinion you have to start by transfigure the delta into star using simple formulae as:
If delta impedances are:
Z12=R12+jX12; Z23=R23+jX23; Z31=R31+jX31 and star impedance are:
Z1=R1+jX1; Z2=R2+jX2; Z3=R3+jX3 then:
Z1=Z12*Z31/(Z12+Z23+Z31)
Z2=Z23*Z12/(Z12+Z23+Z31)
Z3=Z23*Z31/(Z12+Z23+Z31)
Now Yan=1/Z1 Ybn=1/Z2 Ycn=1/Z3
Van=V<0,Vbn=V<-120,Vcn=V<-240 V=400/SQRT(3)=241V[approx.]

As usually-for me-I took the answers as questions. I am sorry! :nb)
So, from the beginning:
Question1: Find the three line currents Ia, Ib and Ic.
Transfigure delta to star and calculate Ia=Van/(Ra+jXa) [typical]
Where Van=V<0,Vbn=V<-120,Vcn=V<-240
[I presume the phase voltages are symmetric.]
In my opinion, Ia has to be: Ia=30.86+j62.7 A -for instance.
Q 2: Find the S,P and Q and power factor for the load.
S=Van*Ia*+Vbn*Ib*+Vcn*Ic* where Ia*=Ia conjugated [If Ia=IaRE+jIaIM then I*=IaRE-jIaIM].
P=RE(S); Q=IM(S)
Q 3: If the nodes are now connected in star with a neutral connected, find the current in the neutral wire.
Iastar=Van/Zab; Ibstar=Vbn/Zbc; Icstar=Vcn/Zca
Io[neutral]=Iastar+Ibstar+Icstar
In my opinion, Io has to be: Io=-44.36+j59.29 A -for instance.

It is something wrong, still. Actually, Io=- (Iastar+Ibstar+Icstar) then 44.36-j59.29 A:H

Now I saw the post title:
“Millman problem”. It is not Millman theorem that I followed.
However, sorry, another correction(!):
In the delta connection the currents are to be calculating from the relation:
Ia=Iab-Ica=Vab/Zab-Vca/Zca and the phase voltage Va=Ia*Za. Only Vab, Vbc, Vca are symmetric.
The neutral is not in the center and then Va, Vb and Vc [absolute values] are not symmetrical.

In my opinion, in order to calculate the currents using Millman theorem a lot of data are missing. See[for instance]:

http://www.elect.mrt.ac.lk/EE201_3phase_sym_comp.pdf

para. Unbalanced three phase systems

For instance Zneutral, Zsource,Zline are missing.

If we could consider all these as zero then E1=Van,E2=Vbn,E3=Vcn and Vnn'=0.

What is the purpose of calculating three impedances and neutral wire current?

The purpose of calculating three impedances and neutral wire current is to understand the electrical characteristics of a circuit. This information can be used to troubleshoot any issues, determine the load on the circuit, and ensure safe and efficient operation of the circuit.

What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Impedance is a measure of the total opposition to current flow in a circuit, including both resistance and reactance (caused by inductors and capacitors). Resistance, on the other hand, is a measure of the opposition to current flow in a circuit caused by the material and dimensions of the conductor.

How do you calculate the total impedance of a circuit with three impedances?

To calculate the total impedance of a circuit with three impedances, you can use the formula Ztotal = Z1 + Z2 + Z3, where Z1, Z2, and Z3 are the individual impedances. Make sure to account for both the magnitude and the phase of each impedance in the calculation.

What is the purpose of the neutral wire in a circuit?

The neutral wire serves as a return path for current in a circuit. It is connected to ground and carries any current imbalances in the circuit back to the source. This helps to balance the load on the circuit and prevent damage to devices.

How can I determine the current flowing through the neutral wire?

To determine the current flowing through the neutral wire, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This means that the current flowing through the neutral wire will be equal to the sum of the currents flowing through the other three impedances in the circuit.