Converting Uncertainty in Millimeters to Meters for Radius Calculation

• Thread starter rainstom07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, to convert a measurement from millimeters to meters, you multiply by 1/1000 and then divide by 2 for the radius. The uncertainty can also be converted in the same way, and it is helpful to think of it in terms of percentage uncertainty.
rainstom07
In a lab, i used a micro-caliper to measure the diameter of an indicator; I got [tex]3.681 mm \pm 0.005 mm[/tex]. However, i need the measurement to be in meters and i need to divide the measurement by 2 (as i need the radius, not diameter) for easy calculations. I know how to convert the 3.681 mm to meters, but what about the uncertainty?

radius of indicator:
[tex]3.681 mm * \frac{1 m}{1000 mm} * \frac{1}{2} = 0.00184\underline{0}5 m[/tex]

uncertainty?:
[tex]\pm 0.005 mm * \frac{1 m}{1000 mm} * \frac{1}{2} = 0.00000\underline{2}5 m[/tex]

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. It is easier to understand if you think of the uncertainty in terms of percentage uncertainty. Then the units don't matter.

1. What is uncertainty conversion?

Uncertainty conversion is the process of converting measurements or data from one unit of uncertainty to another. It involves calculating the relationship between the two units and applying a conversion factor to convert the values.

2. Why is uncertainty conversion important?

Uncertainty conversion is important because it allows for consistency and accuracy in scientific measurements and data analysis. It also allows for easier comparison between different units of uncertainty.

3. What are the common units of uncertainty used in scientific measurements?

The common units of uncertainty used in scientific measurements are percentage uncertainty, absolute uncertainty, standard deviation, and confidence intervals.

4. Can uncertainty conversion affect the accuracy of measurements?

Yes, uncertainty conversion can affect the accuracy of measurements if the conversion factor is not applied correctly. It is important to use reliable conversion factors and to properly account for the uncertainty in the conversion process.

5. How do you convert uncertainty from one unit to another?

To convert uncertainty from one unit to another, you can use a conversion factor or formula specific to the units being converted. This may involve multiplying or dividing by a certain number or using a mathematical equation. It is important to carefully follow the conversion process and properly account for uncertainty throughout the calculation.