Unclear formula for radiative energy transfer

In summary, the formula q=\frac{\sigma(T^{4}_{2}-T^{4}_{1})}{\frac{1}{\epsilon_1}+\frac{1}{\epsilon_2}-1} is used to calculate the heat flux density between two bodies with temperatures T_1 and T_2 and emissivity factors \epsilon_1 and \epsilon_2. This is applicable when the two surfaces are facing each other with a narrow gap in between, taking into account the reflectivity of both surfaces. To understand the equation, one must solve for the net heat flux by subtracting the separate heat flux equations for each surface.
kontejnjer
Right, so I was going over the formula sheet for my upcoming exam in thermodynamics, and I've stumbled upon this formula:

[itex]q=\frac{\sigma(T^{4}_{2}-T^{4}_{1})}{\frac{1}{\epsilon_1}+\frac{1}{\epsilon_2}-1}[/itex]

with a description that (I think) translates as heat flux density. I'm currently puzzled as to where this equation is applied, as our assistant didn't say anything about it or how it was derived in the first place.

I'm guessing that we have two bodies with temperatures [itex]T_1[/itex] and [itex]T_2[/itex] with emissivity factors [itex]\epsilon_1[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_2[/itex], so q is supposed to be the energy (heat) transferred in unit time over a unit surface from one body to the other, but I still haven't the slightest idea as to how this equation is derived. Are the shape of the bodies and their mutual position relevant here? What are the conditions under which the equation is applicable?

I'm somewhat puzzled so any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the formula for the heat flux Q between two surfaces at different temperatures T1 and T2 facing each other with a narrow gap in between (narrow enough that all the heat coming from one reaches the other).

To understand that equation you must realize that the surface 1 not only produces a heat flux Q1'=σε1T14, but also reflects a heat flux Q1''=(1-ε1)Q2, where Q2 is the heat coming from surface 2 and (1-ε1) is surface 1's albedo. So we get

Q1 = Q1' + Q1'' = σε1T14 + (1-ε1)Q2

and a similar equation for Q2. Solve those equations for Q1 and Q2 and finally subtract them to find Q = Q1 - Q2 to find the net heat flux, and if all goes well, you should get to your mystery equation.

Last edited:
Ahh, I see it now, I completely forgot about the reflectivity of both surfaces so my original derivation didn't match up, thanks a lot!

1. What is the "Unclear formula for radiative energy transfer"?

The "Unclear formula for radiative energy transfer" is a mathematical equation used to calculate the transfer of energy through radiation. It is commonly used in the field of thermodynamics and heat transfer.

2. Why is the formula considered unclear?

The formula is considered unclear because it can be difficult to interpret and apply in certain situations. It involves multiple variables and parameters, and may require additional assumptions or simplifications to be accurately used.

3. How is the formula derived?

The formula is derived from the laws of thermodynamics and radiation, specifically the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the Planck's law. It also takes into account factors such as the material properties, temperature, and geometry.

4. What are the limitations of the formula?

The formula has several limitations, including its applicability only to certain materials and geometries, and assumptions made about the environment and conditions. It may also not accurately account for all forms of radiation or energy transfer.

5. How is the formula used in scientific research?

The formula is used in scientific research to analyze and predict the transfer of energy through radiation in various systems. It is also used in engineering and design to optimize heat transfer processes and improve energy efficiency.