Uncommon Publications: Feynman & Sommer-Hipple

• A
  • Thread starter apostolosdt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Publications
In summary, the conversation mentions various publications that claim to be the shortest ever. These include a paper by Sommer, Thomas, and Hipple in 1950, a single equation paper by Feynman, and a two-word and diagram paper by Conway. The conversation also brings up a telegram exchange and a math paper that shows a probable prime to be composite by publishing its factorization. The conversation ends with a mention of a potential future use of a proof in a paper by Garrett Lisy.
apostolosdt
I read about the following publication, claiming to be the shortest ever:
Sommer, Thomas, and Hipple, Phys. Rev. 80, 487 (1950).
Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 19.23.28.png

It made me recall another unsual paper by Feynman, containing only a single equation in its main text:

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 19.44.40.png

and I wonder whether other people can recall analogous, uncommon, publications.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That reminds me of the famous telegram exchange between two people.

query: ?

reply: !

There is a math paper where a probable prime is shown to be composite by publishing its factorization. The wholoe paper is xxxxxx = yyyyyy * zzzzzz,

I'm waiting for the eight ball paper where the proof is:

It is decidedly so.

Maybe Garrett Lisy could use it in his E8 paper someday.

What is "Uncommon Publications: Feynman & Sommer-Hipple"?

"Uncommon Publications: Feynman & Sommer-Hipple" is a collection of rare and lesser-known publications by two influential scientists, Richard Feynman and Katharine Sommer-Hipple. These publications cover a wide range of topics in physics, mathematics, and other fields.

Why is this collection important?

This collection is important because it provides insight into the lesser-known works of two highly influential scientists. It allows for a deeper understanding of their thoughts and ideas, and how they contributed to their respective fields.

What type of publications are included in this collection?

This collection includes a variety of publications, such as research papers, lectures, essays, and letters. It also includes some unpublished works and translations of works originally written in other languages.

How can this collection be accessed?

This collection can be accessed through various sources, such as libraries, online databases, and academic institutions. Some of the publications may also be available for purchase through publishers or online retailers.

What can researchers gain from studying these uncommon publications?

Studying these uncommon publications can provide researchers with a deeper understanding of the thoughts and ideas of Feynman and Sommer-Hipple. It can also offer new insights and perspectives on their contributions to science and their impact on the scientific community.