Unconventional Approaches for Boundary Values in Computing Wave Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the author's questions about an example of solving the 2D wave equation found in a link. The author was unsure about the justification for doubling terms at the boundaries and asked for alternative approaches. The expert suggests that this is done to fulfill boundary conditions and mentions the use of Chebyshev polynomials as another method. The author comments on the abundance of literature on this topic.
TheCanadian
Hi, I was recently following an example shown in this link and just had a couple questions:
http://www.scientificpython.net/pyb...e-equation-and-making-a-video-of-the-solution

I believe I understand the steps, but was just not quite understanding the justification. In the link above, to compute values at i = 0 and/or j = 0, the terms corresponding to u at i-1 and j-1 disappear and the terms at i+1 and j+1, respectively, are doubled. The same thing is done at the end of the boundary where i = n and/or j = m; values for i+1 and j+1, respectively, are removed and the existing terms doubled. I was just wondering why exactly the author did this and the error involved in doing so? These values simply don't exist on the grid as they are outside the domain, but are there any alternative approaches possible?

Also, would you happen to have any suggestions for better methods than the central difference scheme shown in the link for solving a 2-dimensional (or higher) wave equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is in order to fulfill the boundary conditions. Using this trick the slope "out" of the lattice becomes zero.

Other methods of solution could be using Chebyshev polynomials.

Strum said:
It is in order to fulfill the boundary conditions. Using this trick the slope "out" of the lattice becomes zero.

Other methods of solution could be using Chebyshev polynomials.

I'm not terribly familiar with Chebyshev polynomials, but it seems like there's quite a bit of literature on this very problem (and associated tricks). Thank you!

Related to Unconventional Approaches for Boundary Values in Computing Wave Equations

1. What is the purpose of computing boundary values?

Computing boundary values is important in many scientific and engineering applications to determine the behavior of a system at its boundaries. It helps to establish the limits and constraints of a system and can be used to predict how the system will respond to different inputs.

2. How are boundary values typically calculated?

Boundary values are typically calculated using mathematical models and simulations. These models take into account the physical properties of the system and its surrounding environment to determine the boundary values.

3. What are some common challenges in computing boundary values?

One common challenge in computing boundary values is accurately representing the complex behavior of a system. This often requires simplifying assumptions and approximations, which can affect the accuracy of the computed values. Another challenge is determining the appropriate boundary conditions to use in the calculations.

4. Can boundary values change over time?

Yes, boundary values can change over time. This is especially true in dynamic systems where the boundary conditions may be influenced by external factors or interactions with other systems. It is important to regularly reevaluate and update the boundary values as needed.

5. How are boundary values used in different fields of science and engineering?

Boundary values are used in a wide range of fields including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are often used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and structural mechanics. They are also important in designing and optimizing systems for specific applications.