Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncountable additivity (sigma algebra)

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    2w3191v.jpg

Respected members: I am trying to learn this example but I am stuck that "WHY the sum on the right-hand side of the equation above is either 0 or ∞, which
    contradicts (iii)."
    Can anyone give me an example that when will it 0 and when it will ∞ ?

if I =[0, 1)
    lets say that we have three sets A_0 = {0}, A_0.5 = {0.5}. A_1 = {1}
    then P(0)=1/3, P(0.5)=1/3, P(1)=1/3
    because after all they are just three sets and we are after the probability of A_α
    therefore P([0, 1)) = ƩP(A_α) = P(0) + P(0.5) +P(1) = 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1 and that satisfies condition that P([0, 1)) = 1

Please correct me if my approach is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It follows from (ii). Note that ##A_\alpha = \{ x + r | x \in A_0 \}## with ##r = \alpha## so ##\mathbb P(A_\alpha) = \mathbb P( \{ 0 \} ) \equiv P_0 \in \mathbb R##.
    Hence, $$\sum_{\alpha \in [0, 1)} P( A_\alpha ) = |[0, 1)| P_0$$. Now either ##P_0 = 0## in which case the sum will give 0 no matter how many elements you sum over; otherwise ##P_0 > 0## (IIRC a measure must be non-negative) and you sum a positive value over uncountably many elements.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    what is |[0,1)|in ∑α∈[0,1)P(Aα)=|[0,1)|P0 ?

Why the probability of {0} is equal to 0 i.e. P({0}) = P_0 = 0 ? because in (ii) it says "(remember that we want to construct a probability measure where the probability of drawing any given number is equally likely)." does it not say that like other numbers in [0, 1) the 0 has equal probability to appear? or are we considering the number of points in [0, 1) as cantor set (Cantor ternary set) which means that we don't know that how many of them are in [0, 1) ?

PS. I am totally confused because when I look at an example of a fair single coin toss then the probability measure gives 1/2 for head and 1/2 for tail. Similarly, if the probability of drawing any given number is equally likely then why P_0 is zero?

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be the number of elements in [0, 1), i.e. the number of indices you sum over.
    Recall that in the finite case,
    $$\sum_{\alpha \in I} P_0 = |A| P_0$$
    where |I| is the number of elements in the index set; it may look more familiar as
    $$\sum_{k = 0}^n P_0 = n P_0.$$

If you have an infinite sum of a positive constant, the sum will diverge. We write
    $$\sum_{k = 0}^\infty P_0 = \infty \qquad \text{( if } P_0 > 0 \text{)}$$
    which is just an informal way of saying that
    $$\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{k = 0}^n P_0 \text{ does not exist}.$$

It's not necessarily. I said: if it is 0, then the infinite sum is 0. If it is not 0, then the sum is infinite.

6. Oct 21, 2013 #5
    Thanks a tonne. Crystal clearly understood.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook