Uncountable additivity (sigma algebra)

• Thread starter woundedtiger4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses the contradiction of the sum on the right-hand side of an equation being either 0 or ∞, which goes against a certain condition. An example is given to explain when the sum will be 0 and when it will be ∞. The conversation also delves into the concept of probability and how it relates to the number of elements in a set. The conclusion is that if the probability of a certain element is 0, then the infinite sum will also be 0, but if the probability is not 0, then the sum will be infinite.
woundedtiger4
2w3191v.jpg

Respected members: I am trying to learn this example but I am stuck that "WHY the sum on the right-hand side of the equation above is either 0 or ∞, which
contradicts (iii)."
Can anyone give me an example that when will it 0 and when it will ∞ ?

if I =[0, 1)
let's say that we have three sets A_0 = {0}, A_0.5 = {0.5}. A_1 = {1}
then P(0)=1/3, P(0.5)=1/3, P(1)=1/3
because after all they are just three sets and we are after the probability of A_α
therefore P([0, 1)) = ƩP(A_α) = P(0) + P(0.5) +P(1) = 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1 and that satisfies condition that P([0, 1)) = 1

Please correct me if my approach is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It follows from (ii). Note that ##A_\alpha = \{ x + r | x \in A_0 \}## with ##r = \alpha## so ##\mathbb P(A_\alpha) = \mathbb P( \{ 0 \} ) \equiv P_0 \in \mathbb R##.
Hence, $$\sum_{\alpha \in [0, 1)} P( A_\alpha ) = |[0, 1)| P_0$$. Now either ##P_0 = 0## in which case the sum will give 0 no matter how many elements you sum over; otherwise ##P_0 > 0## (IIRC a measure must be non-negative) and you sum a positive value over uncountably many elements.

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
It follows from (ii). Note that ##A_\alpha = \{ x + r | x \in A_0 \}## with ##r = \alpha## so ##\mathbb P(A_\alpha) = \mathbb P( \{ 0 \} ) \equiv P_0 \in \mathbb R##.
Hence, $$\sum_{\alpha \in [0, 1)} P( A_\alpha ) = |[0, 1)| P_0$$. Now either ##P_0 = 0## in which case the sum will give 0 no matter how many elements you sum over; otherwise ##P_0 > 0## (IIRC a measure must be non-negative) and you sum a positive value over uncountably many elements.

what is |[0,1)|in ∑α∈[0,1)P(Aα)=|[0,1)|P0 ?

Why the probability of {0} is equal to 0 i.e. P({0}) = P_0 = 0 ? because in (ii) it says "(remember that we want to construct a probability measure where the probability of drawing any given number is equally likely)." does it not say that like other numbers in [0, 1) the 0 has equal probability to appear? or are we considering the number of points in [0, 1) as cantor set (Cantor ternary set) which means that we don't know that how many of them are in [0, 1) ?

PS. I am totally confused because when I look at an example of a fair single coin toss then the probability measure gives 1/2 for head and 1/2 for tail. Similarly, if the probability of drawing any given number is equally likely then why P_0 is zero?

woundedtiger4 said:
what is |[0,1)|in ∑α∈[0,1)P(Aα)=|[0,1)|P0 ?
That would be the number of elements in [0, 1), i.e. the number of indices you sum over.
Recall that in the finite case,
$$\sum_{\alpha \in I} P_0 = |A| P_0$$
where |I| is the number of elements in the index set; it may look more familiar as
$$\sum_{k = 0}^n P_0 = n P_0.$$

If you have an infinite sum of a positive constant, the sum will diverge. We write
$$\sum_{k = 0}^\infty P_0 = \infty \qquad \text{( if } P_0 > 0 \text{)}$$
which is just an informal way of saying that
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{k = 0}^n P_0 \text{ does not exist}.$$

woundedtiger4 said:
Why the probability of {0} is equal to 0 i.e. P({0}) = P_0 = 0 ?
It's not necessarily. I said: if it is 0, then the infinite sum is 0. If it is not 0, then the sum is infinite.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a tonne. Crystal clearly understood.

Related to Uncountable additivity (sigma algebra)

1. What is uncountable additivity?

Uncountable additivity, also known as sigma additivity, is a property of a measure on a sigma algebra. It means that the measure of the union of a countably infinite number of disjoint sets is equal to the sum of the measures of each individual set.

2. Why is uncountable additivity important in mathematics?

Uncountable additivity is important in mathematics because it allows us to extend measures from smaller sets to larger sets. This is particularly useful in probability theory, where it allows us to define probabilities of events that are not finite or countably infinite.

3. How is uncountable additivity related to the sigma algebra?

The sigma algebra is a collection of sets that satisfy certain properties, and measures defined on this sigma algebra must also satisfy these properties. Uncountable additivity is one of these properties, and it ensures that the measure is well-defined and consistent.

4. Can you give an example of a measure that is not uncountable additive?

Yes, the counting measure on the set of real numbers is an example of a measure that is not uncountable additive. If we take disjoint sets A and B, the measure of their union is equal to the number of elements in A plus the number of elements in B. However, for uncountable sets, this does not hold true, as the number of elements in their union can be infinite.

5. How is uncountable additivity used in real-world applications?

Uncountable additivity is used in many real-world applications, particularly in probability theory and statistics. It allows us to define probabilities for continuous events and infinite sample spaces, making it a crucial concept in these fields. It is also used in economics, physics, and other areas of science where measures are important.