Uncovering the Logic Behind Cl(A) = A

• Thread starter Rasalhague
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, we clarified the definition of A' and its relation to the closure of A, which is equal to the union of A and A'. Additionally, we discussed a potential mistake in a substitution and determined that it was valid due to the form of the statement being considered.
Rasalhague
Cl(A) = A' ??

Unraveling the definitions, I keep getting that Cl(A) = A'.

[tex]x\in \overline{A}[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow (\forall U\in \tau)[(A\subseteq X\setminus U)\Rightarrow (x\in X\setminus U)][/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow (\forall U\in \tau)[\neg (x\in X\setminus U)\Rightarrow \neg(A\subseteq X\setminus U) ][/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow (\forall U\in \tau)[(x\in U)\Rightarrow (A \cap U \neq \emptyset ) ][/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow x\in A'.[/tex]

(The empty set is its own closure, so if x is in A, then A is not empty.)

I suspect the problem may lie in the substitution

[tex]\neg (x\in X\setminus U) \Leftrightarrow \neg((x\in X)\& \neg(x\in U))[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow \neg(x\in X) \vee (x\in U)[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow (\forall x\in X) [x\in U].[/tex]

On it's own, the final step of deleting this "for all X" looks sound to me (we're already implicitly talking about all x in X, so why do we need to consider the possibility that x is not in X?), but in the above context, I've moved from "for all x in X, if P is true or x is in X, then ..." (which is true of all x in X) to "for all x in X, if P is true ..." (which is not necessarily true of all x in X).

Can anyone help me understand what the logical rule is here? (I.e. if this isn't a legitimate substitution, what general rule makes it illegitimate.) Is this why I'm getting the anomalous result that Cl(A) = A'?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What is the definition of A' ??

Ooh, ooh, I see the mistake! I was garbling the definition of A':

[tex]\left \{ x | (\forall U)[(x\in U)\Rightarrow (U\setminus \left \{ x \right \} \cap A \neq \emptyset)] \right \},[/tex]

rather than simply

[tex]\left \{ x | (\forall U)[(x\in U)\Rightarrow (U \cap A \neq \emptyset)] \right \}.[/tex]

So actually [itex]\overline{A}=A\cup A'[/itex]. If x is in the closure of A, either x is a limit point of A, or x belongs to A.

Aah yes, I found your A' a bit weird in the OP :smile: Good you found the mistake!

It dawned on me just before I read your hint! Thanks, micromass - ever ready to spring to my rescue : )

Did my question about the substitution make sense?

Yeah. Your substitution looks ok to me.

And I see why now, at last! The statement is actually of the form [itex]P\vee Q \Rightarrow R[/itex], where P is not true. That being the case, the antecedent is equivalent to Q. I think it was the double negation that confused me.

1. What is the meaning of Cl(A) = A?

The notation Cl(A) refers to the closure of set A, which is the smallest closed set that contains all elements of A. Therefore, Cl(A) = A means that A is already a closed set and its closure is equal to itself.

2. Why is it important to understand the logic behind Cl(A) = A?

Understanding the logic behind Cl(A) = A is important because it helps us to understand the properties of closed sets and how they relate to other mathematical concepts. It also allows us to make deductions and prove theorems in various branches of mathematics, such as real analysis and topology.

3. How is Cl(A) = A different from A itself?

Cl(A) is a set that includes all elements of A as well as its limit points, while A is simply the original set. In other words, Cl(A) is the closure of A, which is defined as the union of A and its limit points. Therefore, Cl(A) can be larger than A itself.

4. Is Cl(A) always equal to A?

No, Cl(A) is not always equal to A. If A is a closed set, then Cl(A) = A. However, if A is not a closed set, then its closure will be a larger set that includes all the limit points of A. In this case, Cl(A) ≠ A.

5. How do you calculate Cl(A) mathematically?

The closure of a set A can be calculated by taking the union of A with its limit points. In other words, Cl(A) = A ∪ L, where L represents the set of limit points of A. Alternatively, Cl(A) can also be defined as the intersection of all closed sets that contain A.