Uncovering the Mystery Behind Football Field Math Facts

In summary, the conversation discusses a math fact about the length of a football field and how it was calculated using Pythagoras' Theorem. It also addresses some misunderstandings and assumptions made by the participants.
Chrono
I was just messing around and ran across this site that hate math facts on it and I chose a random one about a football field. Here's a http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10010.2.shtml# the fact.

Now, I understand what they're trying to get it, but what I don't get is how they came up with it. How did they get the answer using the square root of (180.52 - 1802), and where did they get that from?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's a straightforward application of Pythagoras' Theorem. Divided the triangle into two equal parts each of which is a right triangle. Each base is 180 feet (60 yards = 120 yards / 2) and the hypotenuse is 180.5 feet (the 1 foot extension is shared equally by both triangles).

I'm still not getting 180.5 as the hypotenuse. This should be easy, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here's what I did. I put 180 as the base of the right triangle, so I had Cos[45] = 180 / hypotenuse. Then, I did the algebra and got hypotenuse = 180 / Cos[45] which gave me 254.5. What'd I miss here?

In the statement of the problem you were told that 1 foot was added to the length of the rope. The rope starts off at 120 yards = 360 feet so it ends up being 361 feet long half of which is 180.5 feet. So the hypotenuse IS 180.5 feet long and the base of the right triangle is 180 feet from which you can calculate the HEIGHT of the triangle using Pythagoras.

You also led yourself astray ASSUMING the angle is 45 degrees - it's not!

Freudian slip: I suspect that "have math facts" became "hate math facts" tells us a little about why Chrono couldn't understand it!

Halls,

You forgot the smiley at the end of your "observation!" :-)

Related to Uncovering the Mystery Behind Football Field Math Facts

What are football field math facts?

Football field math facts are numerical patterns that can be found on a football field. They involve various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These patterns can be seen in the yardage markers, goal posts, and other markings on the field.

Why are football field math facts important?

Football field math facts can help students understand and apply math concepts in a real-life context. By using the football field as a visual aid, students can better visualize and comprehend mathematical operations. This can make learning and practicing math more engaging and enjoyable.

How can football field math facts be used in the classroom?

Teachers can incorporate football field math facts into their lessons by having students measure and calculate the distances between yardage markers, calculate the total distance a player runs during a game, or create word problems based on football field measurements. It can also be used as a fun and interactive way for students to practice their math skills.

Are there any resources available for teaching football field math facts?

Yes, there are many resources available online for teaching football field math facts. These include lesson plans, worksheets, and interactive games that can be used in the classroom. Additionally, there are books and videos that explain the concept of football field math facts in a fun and engaging way.

Can football field math facts be applied to other sports?

Yes, the concept of using a sports field or court as a visual aid for teaching math can be applied to other sports such as basketball, soccer, and baseball. This can help students understand and apply math concepts in a variety of contexts and make learning more enjoyable for them.