Uncovering the Relationship between Escape Velocity and Gravity Wells

• Thread starter Mikestone
  • Start date
In summary, the relationship between escape velocity and gravity wells is that escape velocity is the minimum speed needed for an object to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body, while gravity wells are the regions of space where the gravitational pull of a massive object is strongest. The strength of the gravity well is directly proportional to the mass of the object and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the object. This means that the larger the mass and the closer an object is to the center, the stronger the gravitational pull and the higher the escape velocity required. However, escape velocity can also be affected by other factors such as the shape and rotation of the object. Understanding this relationship is crucial for space travel and exploration, as it determines the
Mikestone
How did you find PF?
Google Search
I am a retired civil servant, but have been into Science Fiction, Astronomy and Astronautics since childhood. I am also into history(esp American history), and since 1995 have been an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which I first encountered through the works of Robert A Heinlein.

As a lifelong space enthusiast, I was familiar with the theorem that the energy required to escape from the Earth was the same at that acquired by falling 4000 miles at a constant acceleration of 1g. I first learned this from Arthur C Clarke’s The Exploration of Space (my ninth birthday present) and from another book (title forgotten but I think the author was American) where this was referred to as “Gravity Mountain”. So I was aware of this, but didn’t give it a lot of thought. More recently however, (just over 60 years on!) I recalled this matter, and realized I had never learned how the relationship was arrived at.

It would be mean-spirited to blame Sir Arthur for this, but I found some of his figures confusing. He had also given depths for the gravity wells of the Moon and sun as 170 and 12 million miles respectively, and try as I might, I couldn’t come up with a calculation which produced these results.

Googling took me to a number of sites including PF, where I found a thread stating the energy required to escape from any planet was the same as acquired by a fall at constant acceleration from an altitude equal to the radius of the planet concerned. This threw me for a while as I was still using Clarke’s figures, but finally it clicked when I realized that he had been assuming a constant 1g acceleration for all the bodies concerned, rather than the different gravitational acceleration of each one.

That realized, It only took a bit of algebra to produce the result which I just submitted. I couldn’t send it to the first thread I found, as comments on it were closed, but after a bit of looking around I found another to which it seemed relevant, and sent it there. Don’t know when I’ll contribute next, but will continue to follow.

Likes berkeman and Adesh
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We like inquiring minds.

anorlunda said:
Welcome to PF. We like inquiring minds.

Thanks.