Uncovering the Truth About Dark Energy: XMM-Newton's Surprising Findings

In summary, astronomers have found evidence that contradicts the widely accepted theory that dark energy dominates the universe.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/dark_energy_doubts.html

ESA's X-ray observatory, XMM-Newton, has returned tantalising new data about the nature of the Universe. In a survey of distant clusters of galaxies, XMM-Newton has found puzzling differences between today's clusters of galaxies and those present in the Universe around seven thousand million years ago. Some scientists claim that this can be interpreted to mean that the 'dark energy' which most astronomers now believe dominates the Universe simply does not exist…
----------------------------------------------------------------------
so could galaxy evolution be hiding the truth about dark
energy?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by wolram
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/dark_energy_doubts.html

ESA's X-ray observatory, XMM-Newton, has returned tantalising new data about the nature of the Universe. ...
Wolram, you have pointed us to work by these people before, if I remember.

Alain Blanchard, Vauclair, Bartlett.

It is respectable work IMHO and deserves to make people stop and reconsider whether the 73 percent dark energy is not just dark matter instead. The paper that this news item refers to is, I believe,

http://www.arxiv.org/astro-ph/0311381

this is a closely reasoned thoroughly referenced 5-page paper by Vauclair, Blanchard, Bartlett and several others.

If anyone wants they can read it. I don't think they will find anything fringey or flakey---tho that's just one persons impression.

So IMHO this constitudes a substantive challenge to the "concordance" model with its 73 percent dark energy.

However is it not true that models get challenged from time to time and this is just part of the sport. Just because Blanchard's side looks like making a strong case doesn't mean the question is settled. There will most likely be a lot more observations and a lot more evidence broght in before one can even guess how it may turn out.

For my part, in the mean time I will just go on assuming that the concordance model is the best fit and that the apparent contradiction from the XMM-Newton data will eventually be resolved somehow and that dark energy will survive this challenge.
I will just be a little less confident, having seen this article.

thanks for finding this.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it makes science a bit more exiting and stimulates
the old brain cells, for me the less strange thing the
better, but who knows what the end result will be? its not
over till the fat lady sings.:smile:

1. What is Dark Energy?

Dark Energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to permeate all of space and is responsible for the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

2. How did XMM-Newton uncover the truth about Dark Energy?

XMM-Newton is an X-ray observatory that was able to detect the presence of dark energy through observations of distant galaxy clusters. By measuring the movement and distribution of these clusters, XMM-Newton was able to reveal the effects of dark energy on the expansion of the universe.

3. What were XMM-Newton's surprising findings about Dark Energy?

XMM-Newton's findings showed that dark energy is not constant, but instead is evolving over time. This challenges previous theories about the nature of dark energy and adds new complexity to our understanding of the universe.

4. How does the discovery of Dark Energy impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of dark energy has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe, as it has revealed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating rather than slowing down as previously thought. This also raises questions about the ultimate fate of the universe and the role of dark energy in its evolution.

5. What further research is needed to fully understand Dark Energy?

There is still much to be learned about dark energy, including its exact nature and how it interacts with other forms of energy and matter in the universe. Further research using advanced technology and observations of a larger sample of galaxy clusters will help us gain a deeper understanding of this mysterious force.